2020 Rules Proposals

1 minute ago, WaxDCIFan said:

Same here.  I saw my first drum corps show in Normal, IL when I was a high school sophomore in 1984 (as a tuba player, sitting on the 50 yard line hearing PR's contra line playing 1812 overture was absolute nirvana).  I was hooked because it was different & amazing.  I marched the next year and have pumped my kids and $$ into the activity ever since.

Now that drum corps = marching band, DCI is forgoing the only thing that made them unique from the marching band activity.  And they are doing it for little gain.  The WW players who want to be part of DCI are already there, marching on horns, spinning flags, etc and having a great time. 

I doubt many people will pay exorbitant sums of money for summer marching band when they can get it for free at home.

You really believe in something when you’re willing to send your children there.  I definitely understand that feeling.   

Jim said this morning that if it passes, it’s time for new adventures in the summer.  Probably Yellowstone and the Black Hills next year. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

The opportunity cost in a new 15 year old live long fan and a 65 year old fan who is on the way out is simply to see why this initiative to seek new revenue streams is important to DCI.

That 15 year old similar to you #NeverWW will have a lifelong enjoyment and fulfillment from DCI. 50 more years of buying tickets going to shows, possibly auditioning, a new set of eyeballs for the sponsors of DCI.

It's an opportunity cost that for DCI simply can't be ignored any longer. 

And it's the very reason why everything in our world is marketed towards the younger generation. There is simply more potential money to be made from attracting an 18 year old than there is a 65 year old.

But they tell us fans in the modern-day, ever-changing DCI only last an average of three years each.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

You really believe in something when you’re willing to send your children there.  I definitely understand that feeling.   

Jim said this morning that if it passes, it’s time for new adventures in the summer.  Probably Yellowstone and the Black Hills next year. 

Black Hills is awesome.  Custer State Park is really neat, roaming buffalo herds, big caves, etc.  If you go that far, check out Fort Robinson in western Nebraska.  Old army indian fort, really a neat experience.  Horseback trails / cowboy breakfast up in the hills, etc.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Same.  I will likely be much more casual about it all.

1 hour ago, Glenn426 said:

The opportunity cost in a new 15 year old live long fan and a 65 year old fan who is on the way out is simply to see why this initiative to seek new revenue streams is important to DCI.

That 15 year old similar to you #NeverWW will have a lifelong enjoyment and fulfillment from DCI. 50 more years of buying tickets going to shows, possibly auditioning, a new set of eyeballs for the sponsors of DCI.

It's an opportunity cost that for DCI simply can't be ignored any longer. 

And it's the very reason why everything in our world is marketed towards the younger generation. There is simply more potential money to be made from attracting an 18 year old than there is a 65 year old.

The problem ignored is short term damage. It’ll take years for that 15 year to be to where they can replace the 50 year old who buys tickets, merch, sponsors kid and donates to corps now, as well as volunteers freely. And given the fact the current members now trash the idea everywhere you look on social media isn’t a good sign. You need to weather the short term to have a long term, and I don’t think they truly get that

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kathy Black interview - "Revenue":

She identifies the origin of the idea as a most curious and ironic source - a task force exploring the "new revenue" strategic plan objective.  Yet she only identified one possible new type of revenue - ticket sales to woodwind players.  We already market heavily to bands, so that would not be a "new" source of revenue.

Meanwhile, there is another strategic plan objective for growing current revenue sources.  Were they consulted about this proposal?  What if "new revenue" comes at the expense of losing ten times that much "current revenue"?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1