2020 Rules Proposals

1 hour ago, Daave said:

Just got a chance to look at the interview with Ms Black.  My initial thoughts are that she is an attorney, so she is practiced at speaking in public and chooses her words wisely.  Her eye contact/engagement and anchor points are appropriate.  She uses the pronouns of "we" and "our" to express the point that this is about the collective to make the listener feel at ease that this is just business as usual.  However,  when the pronoun changes to "I" and ownership is implied, then she is clearly uncomfortable and her nervousness is apparent to me.  The anchor points change, her voice inflection changes as well as her body movements outside of the cone.  My opinion is that she is not comfortable with this proposal, or that her name is on it ; but that she will own it regardless of the outcome.  Her body betrayed her when it became about her, IMO, and the rest is just practiced attorney stuff that she is comfortable with.

I also believe that she knows already what we suspect and that this will pass.  As other's have written, they don't care about the "me's" in this. As was stated, they are only concerned with potential future revenues.  But, they are also aware that there are a few more "me's" out there. They are willing to sacrifice the "me's" for the potential future revenue.  I also agree with others who believe that they should be careful what they wish for.

Just the thoughts of a long time fan and supporter (1976)

Honestly I think she wasn’t prepared for the blowback aimed at her personally 

47 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

No empty threats. 

With God as my witness, if woodwinds are legalized for use on the field,  I will never attend another drum corps show.  If they are restricted to the front ensemble, I will attend shows. 

Print it. 

The proposal doesn’t include a “restricted to the front ensemble” provision right?  So if WW are legalized they will be allowed anywhere in any capacity right?  So wouldn’t in/out decision boil down to WW yes/no?  Or are you saying you would wait and see How the corps are using the WW?

Edited by HockeyDad

1 hour ago, Glenn426 said:

So by Tomorrow morning(when this passes) I won't see any of you around. 

I'm so sad.

Can you give me one last snarky response for old times sake?

Til 2021 anyway 

58 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

Does DCA include all instruments? I need alternatives to DCI next year ...#swan song..peace

Not yet 

53 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

It's really silly, with people of upwards of 100,000 posts on this site to imagine their entertainment and daily lives to remain the same without drum corps in their lives. While the fans who remain and talk about the 2021 version of the Blue Devils, that their curiosity won't get the better of them and they won't enjoy watching the corps so that they can spread their snark and share their interpretation of the shows.

Like Kathy said, we heard this all before during any key, during electronics, during any brass instrument. 

Empty threats.

Not as empty as you think. Woodwinds were always the point of no return for many

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, WaxDCIFan said:

Well that would be exceptionally bad business.  If my health holds, I could be a drum corps fan / participant for another 25-30 years.  Current value of future cash stream is way more than $75K.  Any businessman worth a nickel would not forgoe a future cash stream for a short term gain.  Bad business decision by DCI to alienate loyal customer base for a quick buck.

Bad business model -> loss of market share -> irrelevance.

Good business model is retain while you add, not constantly recycle. High churn rates do nothing 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’d say it 90/10 against woodwinds on those pages. 

Reddit too

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

I tried to find woodwinds clamoring for inclusion in DCI, but I can't find any. Do you know what else I can' find other than here on DCP? People opposed to the idea.

Really?  It’s all over Reddit. Did you look there?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

The proposal doesn’t include a “restricted to the front ensemble” provision right?  So if WW are legalized they will be allowed anywhere in any capacity right?  So wouldn’t in/out decision boil down to WW yes/no?  Or are you saying you would wait and see How the corps are using the WW?

I think they can amend proposals.  But I could be wrong.  

Just let me be clear:  I’m not interested in seeing a flying wedge of clarinets. 

• Haha 4

Kathy Black interview - Participation:

Tied to this was the idea of increasing corps size, which I will remind us all is mentioned in the proposal.  She voices reluctance about that idea, citing the challenges we have pointed out here.  Asked about how to increase participation with corps max size remaining at 154, she says she does not know.

Between this and the exceptionally weak case for "revenue", it is clear that DCI is nowhere near ready for Any Instrument Policy.

• Like 2