2020 Rules Proposals

5 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

Yes, plugged in instruments on the sidelines is ok. No idea what year that was added. I am partial to the electric bass.

As a former contra player, plugged in bass is stupid.  Nothing beats a walking baseline played by a great contra section.  Very little skill is required to do this on an amplified guitar.  If this is what drum corps is to become, why bother going on the field at all?

Edited by WaxDCIFan

Just now, WaxDCIFan said:

As a former contra player, plugged in bass is stupid.  Nothing beats a walking baseline played by a great contra section.  Very little skill is required to do this on an amplified guitar.  Why bother going on the field at all?

Cool. I ran into that opinion a lot.

22 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Sounds like you’re scared. 
And oh, worry not, I will still have drum corps entertainment in my life. I have recordings of all the corps back to 1972. That I spent my money on. Kathy’s revenue increases will need to overcome the decreases from those who stop spending our money on it. I’m thinking WW parents won’t be interested in purchasing legacy recordings. Just a hunch. 

I wouldn’t bet the farm on that hunch. I played the clarinet for many years, and probably still would today if my dentist approved. Long story there, let’s just say I had recess duty one day, two boys were fighting over a girl, as the only male faculty member I had to break it up. The boys probably do not even remember the girl’s name, but I have a crown because one of the young men hit me in the mouth by mistake. I have all the Legacy DVD’s along with those released 2000 on. In the past DCI sold more DVD’s and BluRays at BOA finals that at DCI, at least that’s what the folks who used to sell the products in a Indy claimed.  

33 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Well if by “pure” you mean tinny and amplified through directional microphones, reverberating around the bouncy acoustics of an indoor stadium, while your chair is vibrating from obscenely over amplified thunderous goo, then sure. One last season. 

You know what I mean.  Cut me some slack, jack. 😂

• Haha 3

I wonder if DCI has consulted some of their more loyal donors such as Friends of DCI. I used to run a pretty large alumni program for a big land-grant university, and it wasn’t unusual at all for us to float important policy changes or planned expenditures through our donor base to see where they were on big issues and solicit support. The university didn’t want to surprise our supporters or worse yet alienate the high $$ donor alumni with a policy change and have it backfire on them. Any Friends of DCI people on here? Have you been separately consulted  about any of these proposals to see if you would bail out?

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

You know what I mean.  Cut me some slack, jack. 😂

Terri, you need to hang out in the lot with Rancidrolla for that pure brass sound.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Kathy can point at you, Glenn and MikeD as evidence of the overwhelming support for the proposal. 

After teaching a camp just recently, there’s definitely a lot more staff and members that think it makes sense as well!  Many more than you would think.  If you can play it on a synth already then there’s no argument against it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rmurrey74 said:

After teaching a camp just recently, there’s definitely a lot more staff and members that think it makes sense as well!  Many more than you would think.  If you can play it on a synth already then there’s no argument against it.

If you can play it on a synth, why have both? Were you teaching a band camp?

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, rmurrey74 said:

This is the “slow boiling frog” problem. DCI has allowed its identity to be whittled away ever so slightly each year.  DCI wandered so far from the roots of activity that there’s almost no recognizable “ground truth.” Synthesizers should never have been allowed, nor should electric guitars or things that weren’t uniquely drum and bugle corps instruments. Now there’s so many exceptions that have been allowed there just isn’t any identity to the activity anymore.

Edited by WaxDCIFan
  • Haha 1

Kathy Black interview - Mission:

Asked about the concern that drum corps is being changed into something else, she brought up the DCI mission statement, and challenged critics of the Any Instrument proposal to read the DCI mission.  She did it again in her closing statement.

I have read it.  I have been reading it over the years.  It has changed several times, altered quietly but substantially behind the scenes.  Now it has morphed into a "mission statement", "vision statement", and list of "core values".  Funny thing is, none of those three statements say anything about "drum corps", a glaring omission for an organization called Drum Corps International.

• Thanks 1