2020 Rules Proposals

1 minute ago, Newseditor44 said:

Harsh reality, they don’t care nearly as much as you do, and they know you’ll be to replaced by new fans and members. 

Yeah it’s harsh, but it is what it is. 

I disagree with the above. IMO they care very much about the activity. They are charged with keeping it alive and relevant, so they are doing what they believe best to do so. Their approach may differ from others who disagree, but that doesn't they do not care about drum corps. Given their 100% investment of their lives in DCI, they care more than anybody, IMO. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

Fun how a few weeks ago someone posts a Vandegrift HS video and we think its great, but if DCI adds woodwinds, it will suck. The lowest scoring  will be better than Vandegrift. DCI is good because they commit more than a year to producing 11-12 minutes of intense choreography.

This is a good point, and part of the reason that I'll be staying a fan of DCI (or whatever it's called eventually) corps regardless of my preferences in instrumentation or how this vote goes.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

Here’s the bottom line - for those of us not happy about this and threatening to leave, management doesn’t care. The writing is on the wall and they feel they need to evolve to continue. They’ll miss us for a brief moment, but won’t shed a tear or look in the rear view mirror because they feel this is the direction the activity is moving. This is a passing thing, just like adding concert brass instruments and electronics. 

Harsh reality, they don’t care nearly as much as you do, and they know you’ll be to replaced by new fans and members. 

Yeah it’s harsh, but it is what it is. 

I am sure the audience will remain stable or perhaps even increase.  I’m not threatening.  I’m sincerely truly not interested in watching band.  I have nothing against it but it’s not my thing.  I also don’t like Star Wars movies.   It’s a matter of personal taste. 

I wish them well and I have already looked into another organization to support financially. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ranintothedoor said:

This is a good point, and part of the reason that I'll be staying a fan of DCI (or whatever it's called eventually) corps regardless of my preferences in instrumentation or how this vote goes.  

I would prefer all brass, but I think it will be fine with woodwind - maybe even something new and interesting. Drum corps and "band" has been merging all along.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I disagree with the above. IMO they care very much about the activity. They are charged with keeping it alive and relevant, so they are doing what they believe best to do so. Their approach may differ from others who disagree, but that doesn't they do not care about drum corps. Given their 100% investment of their lives in DCI, they care more than anybody, IMO. 

Mike, I never said they don’t care about the activity. In fact, I believe just the opposite. But I do believe they are poised to move on, regardless of what a large portion of the fan base and alumni feel because they think the evolution of the activity is more important(As is revenue). And honestly, their reaction to this, especially by Ms. Black (in my opinion, respectfully) has been rather “if you don’t like it, tough. This is what we’re doing”. 

Businesses make tough decisions every day, and this was years in the making. I’m not saying it’s good or bad, it is what it is. But to say this will have little affect on the fan base and cause an immediate increase in the fan base is asinine. 

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Please! They’re only involved for the money. IMO 

There are so many other ways to make a lot more money. Maybe to eek out a living while staying alive in their field that was fun in high school and college?

Edited by cybersnyder
  • Like 1

Most donations are to individual corps. Will people withhold support to their corps of choice because of a DCI run allowing all instruments? I'm sure some will, but I guess I'd have to ask if you were supporting the corps and the kids or trying to remain influential?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Yes, there is no need for such non-corps items like mellophones and contras either. Or more than one valve, if at all. Plus, get rid of those multi-tenors. No drummer needs more than one, as it existed when I started in drum corps. And why do those guard members actually mover their flags around and toss their rifles?

What a goofball thing to say.  When DCI was formed all of these things were already on the field.  My contra had one valve and one rotor.

• Like 1

Has anyone looked at this from the perspective of the small open class corps that struggles to field on a yearly basis? What if opening up the instrumentation allows these types of corps to add 10, 20, 30 members to their rosters more easily on a yearly basis? That could and would keep these organizations alive and could grow the activity in the long run.

• Like 3