2020 Rules Proposals

1 minute ago, WaxDCIFan said:

What a goofball thing to say.  When DCI was formed all of these things were already on the field.  My contra had one valve and one rotor.

But before that there were zero valves and rotors. The color guard was just that, a military style color guard whose sole purpose was to display the US Flag and guard the colors. I guess what you did was real drum and bugle corps.

10 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

There are so many other ways to make a lot more money. Maybe to eek out a living while staying alive in their field that was fun in high school and college?

Be interesting to find out how many of these 100% investment subject matter experts paid for their own transportation, housing and meals this weekend. 

Just now, Poppycock said:

Be interesting to find out how many of these 100% investment subject matter experts paid for their own transportation, housing and meals this weekend. 

I don't understand.

39 minutes ago, MikeD said:

No, it is hardly a competitor. Their seasons are different timeframes, BOA is based on HS bands participating, so each ensemble is limited to those attending those high schools. DCI corps members are more college age than HS age. 

There is always room for the best to exist, IMO. Also, there is a market for summer programs for students, such as Interlochen (which costs a LOT more than tuition at a DCI corps). 

Regardless of “seasons” they both compete for the same $$$$$$. If any instrumentation passes in DCI they will be competing for that finite amount of money, soon they will be forced to consolidate or go away.

37 minutes ago, MikeD said:

You do know you can play brass sounds on a synth too, I assume. 

My point is if you can mimic woodwinds through a synthesizer, which is accepted in DCI, why add WWs? Oh, BTW you can also play percussion sounds on a synthesizer too.

27 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

Fun how a few weeks ago someone posts a Vandegrift HS video and we think its great, but if DCI adds woodwinds, it will suck. The lowest scoring  will be better than Vandegrift. DCI is good because they commit more than a year to producing 11-12 minutes of intense choreography.

Well one is in a group that has had woodwinds for decades and the other has been unique because it never had them. Apples vs oranges anyone?

Yeah some of us stuck around for the sound....

49 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

A woke civil rights attorney (from the Forestry Service) is now the Board chair for DCI, but does anyone on the Board have at least a bachelors degree in Business from an accredited university???  What business model supports throwing away brand recognition to become like their lessor-common competitor, and thus risk alienating a substantial percentage of their customer base?   

What "brand recognition" is being lost in the eyes of the public?  Are you trying to suggest that marching bands are "lessor-common" (sic) than drum corps?  And "substantial percentage" is subjective at least and non-knowable anyway.

5 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well one is in a group that has had woodwinds for decades and the other has been unique because it never had them. Apples vs oranges anyone?

Yeah some of us stuck around for the sound....

Not sure apples and oranges, maybe fuji apples and granny smith at best. (I think those are two different color apples, please substitute if not.) I'm just not sure that the sound will change much if at all.

• Like 1