2020 Rules Proposals

3 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

Fun how a few weeks ago someone posts a Vandegrift HS video and we think its great, but if DCI adds woodwinds, it will suck. The lowest scoring  will be better than Vandegrift. DCI is good because they commit more than a year to producing 11-12 minutes of intense choreography.

It was great for a band 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

Has anyone looked at this from the perspective of the small open class corps that struggles to field on a yearly basis? What if opening up the instrumentation allows these types of corps to add 10, 20, 30 members to their rosters more easily on a yearly basis? That could and would keep these organizations alive and could grow the activity in the long run.

Think woodwinds will fill them up? Hell no. Kids try out for where they want to go or who is good not cause it’s available 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, leanlion said:

A vote of 31. There are 22 world class corps, Who are the other 9 votes?

Open Class Finalist corps, maybe?

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

Think woodwinds will fill them up? Hell no. Kids try out for where they want to go or who is good not cause it’s available 

But if smaller open class groups that have a hard time getting members actively recruited local WW students to help fill their ranks it could help them get a few more students in the doors. It increases by a large amount their local talent pool. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

The average Drum Corps International Salary for Directors is $98,719 per year, ranging from $86695 to $109176. Nfo. 

Please provide your data source.  It's possible that you are working from more-recent data.  But even your range numbers are skewed from the public ones.  Please explain. 

Meanwhile...  I did some digging.  If you'd like me to go on with the other corps to validate your data appears wrong, I can do that.  

All data from most current IR 990 form available on Guidestar.org

2018 Phantom Regiment - $76,277?

2018 Inspire - $145,000?

2017 Blue Stars - $55,000

2017 Bluecoats - $82,297

2017 Spirit of Atlanta - $0

2018 Madison Scouts - $22,939

2017 Drum Corps International - $117,924 for the ED, and $104,880 for the CFO

Also, every single one of the DCI BoDs serves for no income.  Kathy Black now holds, likely, a vulnerable fiduciary liability position in a, what, $40million activity (at least in terms of accusations if not financial) and she, as every other Board member, serve for free.

Commentary...

Yep, it's clear.  All of these are "doing it for the money" (/s).  Please, ask the ED of Spirit.  How about Chris Komnick at Scouts?  Is that even a living-wage?

I'm sorry, your connotation that money is the only, or even the primary, motivator for these members to vote in favor of woodwinds (or anything else for that matter) is not valid on any level, unless you're able to show that your data is more recent/accurate than Guidestar.  Or, you could attempt to show that I'm not reading the forms correctly - it wouldn't be the first time.  :wink:

I'll be glad when the hyperbole comes back down to normal DCP-level and the quasi-personal, and largely-unfounded, commentary about the decision-makers is toned down.

3 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

that is not more revenue though...

that is the same amount of revenue that the shows currently bring in.

Stop using business logic this is dci 

3 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Zero to the public-at-large who don't see any difference between Drum Crops and Marching Band anyway.  That's not the people I'm referring to.  

And this maybe just anecdotal...........I marched in the Anaheim Kingsmen.  When we folded the first time (1975) many of us went to other corps across the country; B.D., SCV, Freelancers, Bridgemen, etc.  Out of the two-dozen + I have maintained freindship with over the years, not ONE person hopes WW are allowed and (roughly) 3/4 plan to no longer follow/support Drum Corps if they are introduced.  

Too small a sampling size...?  Maybe, maybe not.

The average age in the stands will drop. And they have the most disposable income 

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

Please provide your data source.  It's possible that you are working from more-recent data.  But even your range numbers are skewed from the public ones.  Please explain. 

Meanwhile...  I did some digging.  If you'd like me to go on with the other corps to validate your data appears wrong, I can do that.  

All data from most current IR 990 form available on Guidestar.org

2018 Phantom Regiment - $76,277?

2018 Inspire - $145,000?

2017 Blue Stars - $55,000

2017 Bluecoats - $82,297

2017 Spirit of Atlanta - $0

2018 Madison Scouts - $22,939

2017 Drum Corps International - $117,924 for the ED, and $104,880 for the CFO

Also, every single one of the DCI BoDs serves for no income.  Kathy Black now holds, likely, a vulnerable fiduciary liability position in a, what, $40million activity (at least in terms of accusations if not financial) and she, as every other Board member, serve for free.

Commentary...

Yep, it's clear.  All of these are "doing it for the money" (/s).  Please, ask the ED of Spirit.  How about Chris Komnick at Scouts?  Is that even a living-wage?

I'm sorry, your connotation that money is the only, or even the primary, motivator for these members to vote in favor of woodwinds (or anything else for that matter) is not valid on any level, unless you're able to show that your data is more recent/accurate than Guidestar.  Or, you could attempt to show that I'm not reading the forms correctly - it wouldn't be the first time.  :wink:

I'll be glad when the hyperbole comes back down to normal DCP-level and the quasi-personal, and largely-unfounded, commentary about the decision-makers is toned down.

https://www.paysa.com/salaries/drum-corps-international--director
Nfo

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

For all the adamant detractors I will say this. Look at this decision like a kidney stone. It will be unbearably painful in the lead up to and the act of it passing. But, once it does pass you will be free to pee all over everything as you always have pain free.

Expect to be peed on frequently 

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Haha 2