2020 Rules Proposals

Just now, garfield said:

I've thought a lot about this and I agree that they (we) have the most disposable income.  But, I don't think that verifies the presumption that they actually SPEND it on the activity.

Someone here said his family spends about $15m on drum corps each year and that's in my ballpark.  Maybe you, too.  But, really, how many of us are there versus Sally Sax Player's Mom and Dad and grandparents, and cousins, and a few friends from her band come to see her play "Professional" Band?  You don't longevity if the youngins spend more money and turn over every year.  Reeds, suitcases, backpacks, practice gear, travel gear... on and on.  What's the bigger amount each year versus what the old dino Friends and others spend?

I don't care how disposable income the age group has, I'm interested in how much income the drum corps get.

Lose enough $75 seats without others able to fill them up you lose money. And a lot of those but merch and donate to corps or sponsor kids too. This will have trickle down ramifications none of the revenue focused geniuses considered. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, garfield said:

I've thought a lot about this and I agree that they (we) have the most disposable income.  But, I don't think that verifies the presumption that they actually SPEND it on the activity.

Someone here said his family spends about $15m on drum corps each year and that's in my ballpark.  Maybe you, too.  But, really, how many of us are there versus Sally Sax Player's Mom and Dad and grandparents, and cousins, and a few friends from her band come to see her play "Professional" Band?  You don't longevity if the youngins spend more money and turn over every year.  Reeds, suitcases, backpacks, practice gear, travel gear... on and on.  What's the bigger amount each year versus what the old dino Friends and others spend?

I don't care how disposable income the age group has, I'm interested in how much income the drum corps get.

Cut the Dino stuff, it’s getting really old not to mention really offensive. You called out Poppycock for bashing people when you instigated it and here you are doing the same thing. Give it, and us, a rest. Oh, BTW, if this insanity passes, it won’t be drum corps any longer.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, garfield said:

I think this is perfectly suited to OC!  A natural transition from Soundsport.

I agree.  If DCI wants 'inclusion' (again it's a false narrative), there is no reason why they can't essentially have a Field Band division.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, cfirwin3 said:

I agree.  If DCI wants 'inclusion' (again it's a false narrative), there is no reason why they can't essentially have a Field Band division.

I would love 💕 for that to happen. Also would love ❤️  to see which division draws the most fans. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, garfield said:

I'm curious about the same thing. A tremendous number of assumptions are being made about the ramifications of this rule change, and I'm not sure about their validity.

13 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

WOW!  Fabulous!  Thank you!  That's a very good source!

Now, that said, I have a few picks you might help fill in.  What's the source of Paysa's data?  I know from the 990s what the corps are reporting to the IRS - Guidestar is beyond repute.

Also, they say their data is from fewer than 20 data sources.  That doesn't compute since, of course, there are more corps than that.

And lastly, they say (impressively on your part) that their report was "updated" in 2018, about the same time that the corps' 2017 990s were just beginning to be filed.  If the data timeframes are similar, can you explain Paysa's difference in reporting from even the salaries I pulled from the 990s.

I'm impressed with Paysa's report but I can't verify the actual validity of their data until I know its source and explain their ignoring, for example, Chris Komnick's salary in their "range".

Seriously, thanks for the education.

Just thinking into the future here...

I'm pretty sure that the first time that I see flutes pop to the press box... I will throw up in my mouth a little.

Pretty sure.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

I would love 💕 for that to happen. Also would love ❤️  to see which division draws the most fans. 

Ultimately, it's a likely outcome in the long run that there will be a split among organizations over this issue (on top of others).  A D&B division will emerge somewhere.

• Like 2