2020 Rules Proposals

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

I’m a Bach 3C guy, so, meh.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Two years. 

The woodwind-proponents presumably will start their stealth pr campaign now for 2022, so those who are opposed should do the same.

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I’m throwing on dvds over the years with no woodwinds!! Then some Rush cds again, no woodwinds 

My college roommate freshman year was a huge Rush fan (I'd barely heard of them), and as a drummer, particularly fond of Neal Peart, whose name I didn't even know.

5 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

So, basically it's officially now marching band.  Oh, they will march WW or the judging community and DCI will crucify their scores.

It will be quite something if a bunch of legacy fans quite DCI because they mistakenly believe woodwinds are now approved.

so, at least another year to watch crazies on here figuratively light themselves on fire and post eleventy billion shrieking posts about it. 

literally the only negative to ww not passing. it will be a sight to behold. 

Edited by Lance
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

It will be quite something if a bunch of legacy fans quite DCI because they mistakenly believe woodwinds are now approved.

And when Old Man Legacy's marching-member grandson comes home from camp all pumped up, sourpuss-moneybags Mr. Legacy will gladly open his wallet and heart when he hears A/I failed.  He'll be back.  They'll be back here for the (mostly supposition) drama and banter, and he'll probably still pay for Jimmy's tour fees.  If 'Coats do another show like last year, he definitely won't buy a CD or download.  Jimmy ages out in two years so, by next Janual, Old Man Dino Legacy Money-Bags won't give a #### any more what you do with your band-thing.

Right after Jimmy shows him again how to turn on his laptop.

/s

Before we go on with the new moniker, I think it's important that we define the approximate age when we can define "legacy" versus, what, "Newbies"?  "Rookie Fan"?  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Slingerland said:

The instructors shouldn’t be able to even pass out of caucus rules changes that have financial impacts on drum corps or DCI. If it’s going to incur additional expenses that will necessarily be passed on to the corps or the members, only the adults in the room who have to actually pay the bills should be doing the evaluating and passing of those changes - the parents of the members and the members of the Boards of the various corps. Those who are already making unseemly amounts of money designing the shows (and then using their DCI credentials to soak band boosters for even more) should stay in their lanes and create within the financial boundaries the adults put in place.

Now that it’s done, can we just say that Ms Black’s proposal was embarrassingly under-considered, to the point where, were she still in law school and presented an argument as weak in a classroom setting, she’d be laughed out of the room. Next time before she stands up and acts as the guts of some corps directors or staffers who are too afraid to propose this on their own, she should at least try to come up with an argument for her proposal that isn’t based on suppositions that bear no relationship to reality.

I'm sure she'll take your suggestions under advisement.

You know how this works: "the thought" bubbles among the member group, someone starts to think about it financially, suggestions are made, committees are formed.  Work is done gathering data and doing PRO-FORMA work (there are lots of pro-forma experts here).  They made the case that they should put the notion and its potential implications to a vote.

The legal leader of the entity that makes such proposals to the membership presented the proposal.

The membership (including voting BoD members) has learned that there is no sense in trying to "implement from the bench" changes that either corps boards and corps instructors will simply not implement.  (The list of summarily ignored dictates is long.)  The structure of allowing Instructors in the process gives them "skin"; they aren't "line workers" at a manufacturing plant.  The machines don't run in DCI if the instructors don't feel part of the decision process.  Your mileage may vary but that's obviously how it works here.  If it weren't, we wouldn't continually argue about GE and design sucking up so much of the sheets.

Besides, it worked exactly right: The instructors said "Yea!  More toys!" and the "adults", as you call them, said "No".  I'm not sure that what happened isn't exactly what you say you wish had happened.  Design salivated and leadership told them to sit down.

I suspect you'll have a wonderfully detailed example of how it SHOULD have worked but, I'm still wondering, what's wrong again with the way it DID work?

There's LOTS of talk in drum corps management circles about including all parts of the operational and creative process of drum corps in a more collaborative environment of sharing and transparency.  Your suggestion that instructors should be excluded from those processes doesn't seem consistent with their idea of collaboration.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I tried a slip slide once.  Too hard for me.  I was ok with v/r but I liked 3v in alumni corps the best.   Those old timers had mad skills to play the slip slide. 

Yes we did:laughing:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Slingerland said:

The instructors shouldn’t be able to even pass out of caucus rules changes that have financial impacts on drum corps or DCI. If it’s going to incur additional expenses that will necessarily be passed on to the corps or the members, only the adults in the room who have to actually pay the bills should be doing the evaluating and passing of those changes - the parents of the members and the members of the Boards of the various corps. Those who are already making unseemly amounts of money designing the shows (and then using their DCI credentials to soak band boosters for even more) should stay in their lanes and create within the financial boundaries the adults put in place.

Now that it’s done, can we just say that Ms Black’s proposal was embarrassingly under-considered, to the point where, were she still in law school and presented an argument as weak in a classroom setting, she’d be laughed out of the room. Next time before she stands up and acts as the guts of some corps directors or staffers who are too afraid to propose this on their own, she should at least try to come up with an argument for her proposal that isn’t based on suppositions that bear no relationship to reality.

What decisions made do not have a financial impact? Everything in drum corps costs money. Though I am in the camp that wants drum corps to not include woodwinds, if it had passed, what the instructors have to say would have had more of an impact on me than if the directors agreed. In many cases, the instructors have a better idea of what will work and why than directors. 

Also, I’d not rush to the conclusion that the person who proposed the idea lost. As others have said, without increasing the number of marching members having woodwinds could be a disadvantage. Others mentioned care of the instruments while on tour. These issues are not a nod to tradition, but practical matters. The next time around, these and other issues could be solved. So I think that those of us who did not support the woodwind idea can breath a temporary sigh of relief, but I’m not sure it’s over.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Continental said:

Saw a story on the news where the discussion focused on some hip restaurants trying to discourage the elderly and people with grey hair from returning because it was not good for the image.

Interesting. I've run into that in some ways even at my very young 48. But mine is specifically for the fact that Britt is 29 years old. We ran into exactly what was stated here at a place which shall not be named (Yellow Deli) where the waitress basically said "This really isn't a 'your dad' kind of spot." Well guess what kid...I ain't her dad. Most of the coolest people I know are my age or older. 

• Like 3