2020 Rules Proposals

1 hour ago, garfield said:

You misunderstand the process.

I think it's fair to say that DCI has not been as transparent as they might be about the process, and certainly not as much as they should have been if they wanted the woodwind proposal to get a better public reception.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCIat14 said:

Wouldn't that be outside the norm for DCI though?  I understand most don't bring their own tubas/contras, but if trumpets are provided in band then clarinets are as well in our area.  Reeds might have been at member cost, which would make sense, but can you imagine how many reeds they would go through with all the weather changes?  Yikes!!

plastic clarinets sound disgusting even if stanley drucker is playing one. wood clarinets that sound good are quite expensive, and they tend to crack quickly, badly, and often when they're outside, particularly when humidity changes are involved.  that's a lot more important to me than the reed problem.  instrument techs would spend a lot of time dealing with pads for all WW's as well.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I understand the concept of “need to know”. But I am calling out you talking out of both sides of your mouth on this. You defend DCI by saying in essence posters should be ashamed that they don’t trust DCIs gathering of the “facts”. But.... if anyone asks about those facts you claim that they have no reason to know anything. You want others to back up what they post but...:

And IIRC last week you claimed not to be privy to any special DCI scoop. So where is your “need to know” on DCIs facts gathering and analysis. I see defense of DCI and nothing behind it

edit: should have used “right to know” instead of “reason to know” 

I've never said anything of the sort.  The only thing I've vocally been opposed to is posters calling the leaders of the activity childish names and making contentions that are not based in facts.

I'm not privy to any DCI scoop.  I serve.  I observe.  I interact.  Anyone can and, those making groundless, spurious contentions about the motivations of the leadership should do the same.

9 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I think it's fair to say that DCI has not been as transparent as they might be about the process, and certainly not as much as they should have been if they wanted the woodwind proposal to get a better public reception.

I would say that the preponderance of posts here have contended that DCI doesn't care about what fans think.  Why should they query if that's true?

I'm pretty sure they weren't concerned about the public reaction when the task force made its recommendation.  It was a consideration, I'd bet to be sure, but not the driving motivation of the BoD in bringing it to a vote.

6 minutes ago, garfield said:

I've never said anything of the sort.  The only thing I've vocally been opposed to is posters calling the leaders of the activity childish names and making contentions that are not based in facts.

I'm not privy to any DCI scoop.  I serve.  I observe.  I interact.  Anyone can and, those making groundless, spurious contentions about the motivations of the leadership should do the same.

Well I asked about facts and you told me if I’m not with a corps it’s none of my business. Also I have not called anyone insulting or childish names so don’t use that as an excuse in your previous response to me. I also never questioned the leaders motivations but if that makes you feel better with your non-response so be it....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 4

On 1/11/2020 at 6:44 PM, Jeff Ream said:

They don’t care. They’ve bought into the kool aid. They cite this untapped pool of revenue they provide no research to back them with, and duck dodge parry spin  thrust when expenses are brought up or say “ it’ll help lower corps fill up” ignoring the fact thousands of brass, guard and percussion members don’t go to those corps now.

so get ready for January 2022 to be right back here, maybe next year they’ll push raising the membership limit

And this is definiitely an activity that the cost increases exponentially for every person added to corps, and aside from housing issues.   So then they will start screaming for more revenue. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

Thanks for sharing.

Perhaps people, yourself included, are too sensitive when their contentions are tested.  Perhaps people's contentions should be better-based in rational thought and facts that can be corroborated instead of personal invectives or worse.

But do carry on.

(Oh, and I never said the "entire" discussion.  Again, why are people surprised when their baseless contentions about the motivation of people they've never met are challenged?)

Pompous indeed. Why is my contention baseless? You’re rude, I’m calling you out on it. I applaud challenges that are respectful. Your’s  I’m afraid are not. You call out being fair and respectful of others and you couldn’t be further from the truth. Vitriol does not win arguments. Are you angry for growing older? What’s with this Legacy, Dino, Old schtick? It’s really tired and beneath you.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lance said:

plastic clarinets sound disgusting even if stanley drucker is playing one. wood clarinets that sound good are quite expensive, and they tend to crack quickly, badly, and often when they're outside, particularly when humidity changes are involved.  that's a lot more important to me than the reed problem.  instrument techs would spend a lot of time dealing with pads for all WW's as well.  

I think this was a primary consideration in the corps directors saying "No" to the proposal.

1 minute ago, garfield said:

I think this was a primary consideration in the corps directors saying "No" to the proposal.

But you’re not privy to anything.... 🙄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well I asked about facts and you told me if I’m not with a corps it’s none of my business. Also I have not called anyone insulting or childish names so don’t use that as an excuse in your previous response to me. I also never questioned the leaders motivations but if that makes you feel better with your response so be it....

Your snark is noted.

I've never said anything of the sort.  My reference to serving with a corps is that is one, definitive way to get "inside information".

You have as much "business" as anyone else who donates or has a vested interest.

That doesn't necessarily mean the general public is entitled to the information they desire.