2020 Rules Proposals

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

it's going to be venue dependent. however the risk is removing paying butts from those seats...lost revenue

related to this, how much of a "seat buffer" would you need to put around said judges to prevent "unwanted interaction" from the paying butts?  Or would they be "under cover"?  Would they be allowed to talk into their recording devices while the corps were performing (because I could see THAT going over real well...)?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well have an on topic question about AI. And I don’t mean artificial intelligence or Allan Iverson.... 

What was in the proposal that is different from currently? Was it that other instruments can be used on the field and not confined to the pit? Saw some guesses in posts but no clear answer.

Wait... I thought he was The Answer to everything!!! :tongue:

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Do you, personally, agree with that contention?

Don't know because "new kids" in the usage presumes the new kids from WW.  All that is just a guess.  The only thing I know for sure is what I spend (and one other poster here who admitted it).

I can only speak for myself and what I would know or guess about the long-term friends and others I see in the Friends section.  As another poster said here, I'd guess $15m to $20m annually is probably a fair assessment of what many people in that group might spend on their drum corps hobby.  Average tour/audition fees would suggest that it would take 3 or 4 new MMs to pay for one of those fans; the last numbers I saw this year suggest first-year newbie families buy six to eight show tickets and spend between $100 to $200 per season on trinkets and other stuff.  Times six family that's, roughly, $1m more so maybe 3 new MMs per Legacy Friends fan.

For the actual numbers across the fan base, we'll need to enlist the brains behind Vaticinate to share the data if they have it.

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

it's going to be venue dependent. however the risk is removing paying butts from those seats...lost revenue

If the judges are scattered throughout the venue then, theoretically, corps would design shows for the whole venue and more seats could be sold.

3 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Wait... I thought he was The Answer to everything!!! :tongue:

Hey he so good he didn’t have to practice lol....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gak27 said:

related to this, how much of a "seat buffer" would you need to put around said judges to prevent "unwanted interaction" from the paying butts?  Or would they be "under cover"?  Would they be allowed to talk into their recording devices while the corps were performing (because I could see THAT going over real well...)?

For Soundsport championships, there's no box, so the judges sit in the bleachers, in a blocked-off section that could easily seat over a dozen if not two dozen spectators. And since those judges do make tapes, I would imagine that buffer is the ideal situation for them, especially since no one gets to impede their view or distract them otherwise. I would venture that this is one of the things they're looking at now, to deliberate on later--whether or not there are places within each stadium which could accommodate a judge and whether or not ticket sales can take the hit of unavailable seating.

DCI policy currently requests that staff who watch shows from staff viewing areas which are in or near spectator seating zones be respectful of fans and limit their own noise and distracting behavior. Although nobody really follows that rule, or many of the other public-facing courtesy rules, honestly.

Edited by Year Fiver

23 hours ago, Slingerland said:

DCI is considering this weekend whether to allow a current member corps to go on tour this summer or not, in part because they’re carrying hundreds of thousands in debt. Anything that puts financial pressure on a corps to keep up with the fill-in-the-blanks in order to stay competitive is part of that process.

In terms of bringing staffs into the budgeting process, many if not most WC corps already do that. The problem is that OTHER corps’ staffs aren’t part of their budgeting process, so what feels like no big deal to the Blue Devils’ budget might be a significant strain to Phantom Regiment’s - but PR is in a situation where they realize they have to keep up in the hardware race or suffer some consequences when the judges tell their members that they’re not competitive because their $200,000 sound system sucks in comparison to someone else’s $350,000 worth of mics/speakers/amps, etc.

It’s why I said that financially impacting rules changes should be considered by ALL players - instructors being ONE, but not the only, group to evaluate the changes early in the process.

I don’t understand why dci would let a touring group go on the road knowing it owes money to university, bus companies, housing sites and staff from previous years, and were talking about more than 2019 debt!!

7 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Hmm.  By this reasoning, if Bloo really wants to have their ensemble in the pit, they could use one of those electronic woodwind instruments and classify it as electronics then?  Or would that be 'too close for comfort?" 

If I was on their design team I would buy a pallet of Eiwi's Stack the front sideline and have an Electronic WW moment.

They clearly had a WW Ensemble moment in mind for one of their shows.

And in another part of the Show have a Mannequin holding a flute appear while the synth plays a Flute Patch for the entire ballad while the Brass accompanies.. 

Such archaic thinking, to allow the sounds from a WW instrument on the field but not allow the instrument itself. 

Edited by Glenn426