2020 Rules Proposals

3 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

If I was on their design team I would buy a pallet of Eiwi's Stack the front sideline and have an Electronic WW moment.

They clearly had a WW Ensemble moment in mind for one of their shows.

And in another part of the Show have a Mannequin holding a flute appear while the synth plays a Flute Patch for the entire ballad while the Brass accompanies.. 

Such archaic thinking, to allow the sounds from a WW instrument on the field but not allow the instrument itself. 

There may be a moratorium on Mannequin use after the Cadets show...

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

The "test bed" is already there.  It is called SoundSport.  If there is a lot of interest in any-instrument ensembles, we should see it in SoundSport.

The Soundsport that keeps being touted as an alternative is poop. To my knowledge Soundsport is not even televised, Can't tell you the name of a single Soundsport Group or who the champs (if there is a champion).

The cutting edge for Designers and the Test Bed for innovation now will be in WGI Winds. With Michael Gaines Involvement in Aimachi Winds and the other Aimachi groups... It wouldn't surprise me if WGI Winds has a Bluecoats Winds Group come out in the coming years as an outlet for the designers and participants as an alternative to DCI. 

Not sure what agreement WGI and DCI have in place but if I were WGI, I'd be pushing out emails to all DCI corps that were in favor of AI to make a WGI Winds group.

As to me the future of Marching Music is Indoors.

2 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

You figured there to have been conversation between the voting instructor and the Corps Director before the process and that they where in line, and in agreement. As a Designer I would be furious to find out that a Corps Director cowardly changed his mind and voted against our discussions and against my vote as the Instructor voting on behalf of the organization.

At least 4 Corps directors did just that to their staff. 

As much as I favor the approval of WW, I don't agree with that. Unless the staffs and admins of a corps were in agreement in advance and the directors bailed on them with the final vote, I see nothing wrong with differing votes. I think that the staffs voted to pass A&E many times prior to the directors approved them. Staffs want the creative tools; admins look at the books and other items non-creative.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MikeD said:

As much as I favor the approval of WW, I don't agree with that. Unless the staffs and admins of a corps were in agreement in advance and the directors bailed on them with the final vote, I see nothing wrong with differing votes. I think that the staffs voted to pass A&E many times prior to the directors approved them. Staffs want the creative tools; admins look at the books and other items non-creative.

That is my reasoning and thinking. How a corps as unit wouldn't go into the vote already agreeing is nuts to me.

"You do you" is how corps approach these Rules Congresses?

1 minute ago, MikeD said:

As are no limits. Both can inspire creativity, and both can hinder it. There is no one way to be creative.

However ""just doing what someone else does in the same medium" isn't usually considered very creative.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

They do however have to work with their prized Designer who might take this disagreement into future considerations when their contract is up.

You’re assuming each organization spends the same on staff, which they don’t. Loyalty has legs, and instructors will go where the money is, if a better offer is made. Hence the annual end of the season staff changes. Not unusual - professional sports. 

There are a handful of organizations who if they wanted to could simply spend their competitors out of business. Thankfully there are still some drum corps purest in charge who won’t accept unrealistic recommendations from their short term employees. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glenn426 said:

But the idea that the Corps Instructor and Director would not be in line with each other is crazy to me. I understand that there are different aspects that they would have to evaluate but wouldn't the Director share their feelings or leaning with the instructor before the Vote.

Drum corps does not take place in a vacuum.  Instructors, going back, have always used the instructor caucus to advance their own best interests.  And corps management has always used the BoD to advance theirs.  Sometimes they don't align, and that's ok.  Everyone still generally gets along.  It's not a secret that it's worked this way for literally decades.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1