2020 Rules Proposals

39 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

I can't tell if you are being flippant of my enthusiasm. 😑 But there are some sound business ideas that should've and could've been introduced with this proposal and I truly think its an opportunity missed.

Well, I still oppose WW + drum corps.  But if this were to be done anyway, it should be done right.  There is something in it for the instrument suppliers, so getting them to contribute toward the cost should absolutely be part of the idea.

1 hour ago, Glenn426 said:

No but I do know a couple of Reps maybe I should them my ideas. Its an idea that could be worth millions for Yamaha,

I think the chances of non-Yamaha manufacturers allowing their corps to use Yamaha equipment is 0.  One big thing to remember about DCI, and this goes back to the G7 movement, is the push to actually take that kind of power *away* from DCI and move it to the corps level.  DCI is just an event promoter and rules body, with some merchandise sales on the side (and even less so now that PepWear has gotten involved).  Everything else was designed to be done at corps level. 

Compare it much more closely to the NCAA than the NFL.  The NFL can mandate everyone wear Nike.  The NCAA cannot.

Mike

6 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I think the chances of non-Yamaha manufacturers allowing their corps to use Yamaha equipment is 0.  One big thing to remember about DCI, and this goes back to the G7 movement, is the push to actually take that kind of power *away* from DCI and move it to the corps level.  DCI is just an event promoter and rules body, with some merchandise sales on the side (and even less so now that PepWear has gotten involved).  Everything else was designed to be done at corps level. 

Compare it much more closely to the NCAA than the NFL.  The NFL can mandate everyone wear Nike.  The NCAA cannot.

Mike

Yes But for corps marching on King, Dynasty, Jupiter, Kanstul horns, to my knowledge those manufacturers don't also make WoodWind Instruments. It would be a separate deal from the Brass instruments. Similar to the Drum companies being paired with different Stick Manufacturers. 

Not all Yamaha Drums play on Vic Firth, some use Innovative Percussion. Not all Pearl Drums play on Remo Heads, some play on Evans.. 

At that level you'd think that common sense would prevail. And of course, Yamaha could extend the deal to provide the instruments to all corps, If a corps chooses to use a different instrument that would be on their own dime and or provided by their own instrument manufacturer. But at that point would for example,  Kanstul buy $10,000 worth of WW and provide them Free of Charge to their corps just so that they don't use Yamaha WW instruments they don't manufacture and compete with in the first place?

2 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

Rhythm X Winds seems to have the collaboration with Bluecoats and Rhythm X. Perhaps it is this involvement that is the reasoning for Bluecoats to want AI to go through.

Many corps have in the past fielded their own Guards and or Percussion groups.

So far Bluecoats, Crossmen and Cavaliers have had affiliations with WGI Winds groups, I'd love to see that increase in the future as those groups truly have the infrastructure to succeed. 

yet Bluecoats folded their guard. Cavies did eons ago.

2 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

No but I do know a couple of Reps maybe I should them my ideas. Its an idea that could be worth millions for Yamaha,

and then you have corps violating contracts elsewhere left right, with penalty clauses and breach of contract suits kicking in everywhere.

genius business idea (insert sarcasm here) ($1 to Lee Rudnicki) (genkus)

3 hours ago, MikeN said:

Mike

and imo, the Pepwear tent at Allentown was underwhelming

Edited by Jeff Ream

27 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Yes But for corps marching on King, Dynasty, Jupiter, Kanstul horns, to my knowledge those manufacturers don't also make WoodWind Instruments. It would be a separate deal from the Brass instruments. Similar to the Drum companies being paired with different Stick Manufacturers. 

Not all Yamaha Drums play on Vic Firth, some use Innovative Percussion. Not all Pearl Drums play on Remo Heads, some play on Evans.. 

At that level you'd think that common sense would prevail. And of course, Yamaha could extend the deal to provide the instruments to all corps, If a corps chooses to use a different instrument that would be on their own dime and or provided by their own instrument manufacturer. But at that point would for example,  Kanstul buy $10,000 worth of WW and provide them Free of Charge to their corps just so that they don't use Yamaha WW instruments they don't manufacture and compete with in the first place?

those manufacturers may have deals with woodwind manufacturers.

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

yet Bluecoats folded their guard. Cavies did eons ago.

Similar to SCV Guard you would imagine that they will come out again. Same with Pride of Cincinnati, Most IW guards go in and out of competition for various reasons, I think Boston's new Guard Inspire took a lot of the potential members from Bluecoats. Also with Stanbury's recent announcement, Greg Logola is now a costuming partner of Inspire and the Boston Crusaders so that may have had some impact on their situation.

Chromium Winds IOW has some affiliation with Cavaliers as recent as last year IIRC. 

27 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Similar to SCV Guard you would imagine that they will come out again. Same with Pride of Cincinnati, Most IW guards go in and out of competition for various reasons, I think Boston's new Guard Inspire took a lot of the potential members from Bluecoats. Also with Stanbury's recent announcement, Greg Logola is now a costuming partner of Inspire and the Boston Crusaders so that may have had some impact on their situation.

Chromium Winds IOW has some affiliation with Cavaliers as recent as last year IIRC. 

would imagine...but haven't. with the cost of running a corps ever escalating, especially as housing becomes more an issues, the funds to start extra groups is a challenge