2020 Rules Proposals

2 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

So, basically it's officially now marching band.  Oh, they will march WW or the judging community and DCI will crucify their scores.

?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

They don’t care. They’ve bought into the kool aid. They cite this untapped pool of revenue they provide no research to back them with, and duck dodge parry spin  thrust when expenses are brought up or say “ it’ll help lower corps fill up” ignoring the fact thousands of brass, guard and percussion members don’t go to those corps now.

so get ready for January 2022 to be right back here, maybe next year they’ll push raising the membership limit

Yep.

While I'm glad the any instrumentation proposal failed, it's a matter of time before it does after the instructors caucus passed it before the big vote today. My thought would be just pass it for OC class only while keeping the member limits. Then see what affects this will have.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

It passed caucus, but not the official vote. No woodwinds for at least two more years.

Great News!  Sounds like the vote wasn't even close.  I know it will come up again, but tonight time to celebrate with a few Manhattans and blasting 1974 Kingsmen!

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Good.  Bye now.   👋 

Was that a “Pelosi clap”?

• Haha 5

38 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

I see you live in Norman as well so an Ok, Boomer would be appropriate....

Now, that was funny.

22 hours ago, Jeffe77 said:

While I'm glad the any instrumentation proposal failed, it's a matter of time before it does after the instructors caucus passed it before the big vote today. My thought would be just pass it for OC class only while keeping the member limits. Then see what affects this will have.

The instructors shouldn’t, by themselves, be able to pass out of caucus rules changes that have financial impacts on drum corps or DCI. If it’s going to incur additional expenses that will necessarily be passed on to the corps or the members, the adults in the room who have to actually pay the bills should be part of evaluating those changes.  Those who are already making unseemly amounts of money designing the shows (and then using their DCI credentials to soak band boosters for even more) should stay in their lanes and create within the financial boundaries the adults put in place.

Now that it’s done, can we just say that Ms Black’s proposal was embarrassingly under-considered, to the point where, were she still in law school and presented an argument as weak in a classroom setting, she’d be laughed out of the room. Next time before she stands up and acts as the guts of some corps directors or staffers who are too afraid to propose this on their own, she should at least try to come up with an argument for her proposal that isn’t based on suppositions that bear no relationship to reality.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Great News!  Sounds like the vote wasn't even close.  I know it will come up again, but tonight time to celebrate with a few Manhattans and blasting 1974 Kingsmen!

No idea secret ballot and I doubt they’ll release who did what because of fan backlash 

15 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

The instructors shouldn’t be able to even pass out of caucus rules changes that have financial impacts on drum corps or DCI. If it’s going to incur additional expenses that will necessarily be passed on to the corps or the members, only the adults in the room who have to actually pay the bills should be doing the evaluating and passing of those changes - the parents of the members and the members of the Boards of the various corps. Those who are already making unseemly amounts of money designing the shows (and then using their DCI credentials to soak band boosters for even more) should stay in their lanes and create within the financial boundaries the adults put in place.

Now that it’s done, can we just say that Ms Black’s proposal was embarrassingly under-considered, to the point where, were she still in law school and presented an argument as weak in a classroom setting, she’d be laughed out of the room. Next time before she stands up and acts as the guts of some corps directors or staffers who are too afraid to propose this on their own, she should at least try to come up with an argument for her proposal that isn’t based on suppositions that bear no relationship to reality.

Not that I disagree with you, but finances has never been, never will be, or should be staffs concern.