2020 Rules Proposals

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I do wonder if DCI was quietly encouraging people to leak hints about this rule on social media (including DCP) over the past several months as a kind of "soft opening" so that it wouldn't come as such a shock now.

no, people were ###### it leaked

5 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

At the end of the day that you describe, there are still 154 participants on the field. How does that square with the stated rationale of providing the experience to a larger number of young people?

If that indeed is the purpose of this proposal, then without a concurrent proposal to increase the size of the unit, it's a hollow statement. 154 = 154 = 154 all day long. You're just replacing current young people with other young people and the overall number of young people participating in the activity remains unchanged. You don't get "new participants and new revenue" from that -- unless this is all some cynical ploy to double the audition numbers by creating false hopes for thousands of young WW players.

Now, if the rationale were revised, and instead it were put this way . . . 

"Opening the drum corps activity to young musicians currently excluded, and closing the drum corps activity to young musicians currently included, is consistent with the DCI mission to offer the opportunity of the life-enriching benefits and enjoyment of marching music performing arts to a wider pool of young people worldwide.”

. . . then we'd have a more honest statement of intent, one with a vision of changing the nature of the activity, not some fig leaf about bringing more youth into it.

easy. pass this, next year propose 200 max membership

3 hours ago, garfield said:

Your curiosity presumes that DCI actually cares about, and is responsive to, social media.  In matters of voting at the Januals, well, has there ever been a biennial that was prefaced by a period open to fan comment?

Also, issues such as these would reasonably require the corps' governance and ED to discuss the rule changes and determine a position on a proposal.  That's a LOT of people to herd like cats. No matter the instruction of confidentiality, word is going to get out eventually.

Besides the corps representatives, there are also several dozen headed to Indy for the Board consortium meetings.  That's a lot of cats.

oh they care when they post something, replies aren't glowing and they turn off the ability for people to comment

• Like 1

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I'm inclined to think the person who told you that is lying. Maybe even to him- or herself.

there are many in DCI who would cheer if legacy fans went away

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

What does "Open Class Grand Finalist Corps" mean?

“When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’

’The question is,’ said Alice, ‘whether you can make words mean so many different things.’

’The question is,’ said Humpty Dumpty, ‘which is to be master — that’s all.”

Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

easy. pass this, next year propose 200 max membership

Completely agree that if WW allowed they will raise membership to around 200.

Which means purchasing a set of 'marching woodwinds' (is that even a thing?) ($),  at least 1 more bus ($), more mouths for the food truck to feed ($),  WW Caption head & techs ($).

For the relatively few Corps that have the fiscal ability to cover these costs, WW may not be a financial burden.  For others, who have to find a way to 'keep up with the Joneses' it is just another straw on the camels back.

Reading the entire proposal, it states (& I quote) "Fiscal Impact...DCI and the corps will be able to leverage additional revenue opportunities through marketing to a new target audience of performers, families, and friends.  Additional expenses will be minimal for DCI and individual expenses for individual corps will depend upon instrumentation decisions."

To me, this does not look like a well thought out 'Fiscal Impact"  - It seems to say 'WW won't cost much, let the individual Corps work it out, but we may get more parents of WW players in the stands'.

This is way less thought out than the G7 or other cockamamy proposals of the past.  And DCI made this person Chairman of the BOD?

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
to use more better English
  • Like 2

200 members and I keep hearing my college MB director/drill designer who kept band at 150 max. “Too many people gets in the way of my drill”.

And we didn’t even have props to get in the way of the drill

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

200 members and I keep hearing my college MB director/drill designer who kept band at 150 max. “Too many people gets in the way of my drill”.

And we didn’t even have props to get in the way of the drill

Yup.  Tried my hand writing for a 500 person band for 'fun' once... 3 sets and 3 hours later, decided to retire early from my glorious career writing for that size ensemble.  

That said, huge respect for those drill writers who can and do.  

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

agreed. i have seen people of all age groups, including current corps members speaking out against woodwinds

Our mutual friend who is 18 has vehemently spoken out against this.  So try ok boomer on him.  #fail

• Haha 2