2020 Rules Proposals

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

Along side Jimmy Hoffa?  Wait, he was cremated.  Never mind... 😂😎

“Coffin corner” at the old Meadowlands stadium lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, garfield said:

And when Old Man Legacy's marching-member grandson comes home from camp all pumped up, sourpuss-moneybags Mr. Legacy will gladly open his wallet and heart when he hears A/I failed.  He'll be back.  They'll be back here for the (mostly supposition) drama and banter, and he'll probably still pay for Jimmy's tour fees.  If 'Coats do another show like last year, he definitely won't buy a CD or download.  Jimmy ages out in two years so, by next Janual, Old Man Dino Legacy Money-Bags won't give a #### any more what you do with your band-thing.

Right after Jimmy shows him again how to turn on his laptop.

/s

And there we go again.

If there is only one thing we learned this past week, it is that the WW issue transcends age demographics.  Even the marching-age group opposes the idea.  It would be an enormous miscalculation for anyone to continue holding the stereotypes you characterize in this quote.

Before we go on with the new moniker, I think it's important that we define the approximate age when we can define "legacy" versus, what, "Newbies"?  "Rookie Fan"?  

Why?  What difference does it make, anyway?  As you would be the first to remind us, the average fan lifespan in this day and age is allegedly only 3.5 years.  At that level of retention, who cares if the fan is 16 or 60? 

What does matter is the depth of their support.  How much can they spend?  How much will they spend on drum corps?  Will they volunteer?  Do they have local connections and influence that can help find show venues, housing sites, places to rehearse?  Do they have even higher levels of skill, expertise and interest that you look for to populate the BoDs of the participating corps?

• Thanks 5

8 hours ago, garfield said:

And when Old Man Legacy's marching-member grandson comes home from camp all pumped up, sourpuss-moneybags Mr. Legacy will gladly open his wallet and heart when he hears A/I failed.  He'll be back.  They'll be back here for the (mostly supposition) drama and banter, and he'll probably still pay for Jimmy's tour fees.  If 'Coats do another show like last year, he definitely won't buy a CD or download.  Jimmy ages out in two years so, by next Janual, Old Man Dino Legacy Money-Bags won't give a #### any more what you do with your band-thing.

Right after Jimmy shows him again how to turn on his laptop.

/s

Before we go on with the new moniker, I think it's important that we define the approximate age when we can define "legacy" versus, what, "Newbies"?  "Rookie Fan"?  

Careful “rude” seems to be the word of the day....  wonder why...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Just catching up and saw this: "A proposal recommending the repositioning of judges customarily located in the press box to vantage points closer to the field and audience has been passed along to a committee for further evaluation."

I'm glad it didn't fail outright, since it would be a step in the right direction.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

And there we go again.

If there is only one thing we learned this past week, it is that the WW issue transcends age demographics.  Even the marching-age group opposes the idea.  It would be an enormous miscalculation for anyone to continue holding the stereotypes you characterize in this quote.

Why?  What difference does it make, anyway?  As you would be the first to remind us, the average fan lifespan in this day and age is allegedly only 3.5 years.  At that level of retention, who cares if the fan is 16 or 60? 

What does matter is the depth of their support.  How much can they spend?  How much will they spend on drum corps?  Will they volunteer?  Do they have local connections and influence that can help find show venues, housing sites, places to rehearse?  Do they have even higher levels of skill, expertise and interest that you look for to populate the BoDs of the participating corps?

Expect a request for sources to support the analysis, a plethora of statistics,  even then they may not be viable. There needs to be a collaboration of data. Or so I’ve been told! 😉

Edited by Poppycock
  • Haha 4

Here’s a crazy idea. We’ve read over and over that the addition of WW could only possibly raise revenue if the corps size is increased. Well, how about increasing corps size Without adding WW. Since brass players are being turned away today, I presume the activity can accommodate more brass players. Therefore running with the logic that more MMs = more money (not a theory I endorse but running with Kathy Black’s logic) would that not also increase revenue?  Adding WW does not have to be a prerequisite to increase in max corps size. TA DAH!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Well, how about increasing corps size Without adding WW. Since brass players are being turned away today, I presume the activity can accommodate more brass players. 

16 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Increasing the size of the corps (brass guard and percussion) while leaving out the inclusion argument doesn’t fit her narrative. However she made great case that anyone can become a lawyer. 

Depending how many more mm would be allowed, to me, there seems to be enough brass already.  With visual such an important show seller, more guard might be nice.  If more brass is added, then limit what the overage synth person can do.

15 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Increasing the size of the corps (brass guard and percussion) while leaving out the inclusion argument doesn’t fit her narrative. However she made great case that anyone can become a lawyer. 

Because increasing the size is, by definition, more inclusive.

I'd wager that, if increasing member limits comes up again, "inclusive" will not be part of their reasoning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Just catching up and saw this: "A proposal recommending the repositioning of judges customarily located in the press box to vantage points closer to the field and audience has been passed along to a committee for further evaluation."

I'm glad it didn't fail outright, since it would be a step in the right direction.

DP mentioned in the announcement of the proposal results that a steering committee will come up with guidelines for that particular proposal by the start of April given the variety of different types and sizes of venues.

• Thanks 1