2020 Rules Proposals

10 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I was only responding to what you posted....

And we're about to get the thread shut down.  Can we move on from my foul manners to the subject at hand? (Although, realistically, what is the point of the thread now?

Mods should shut it down anyway.

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

And we're about to get the thread shut down.  Can we move on from my foul manners to the subject at hand? (Although, realistically, what is the point of the thread now?

Dude I was just saying why I asked the question... don’t forget I’m a IT data and number cruncher from decades back so wondering about where raw info comes from is second nature to me

mikeD: I’m done responding...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

18 minutes ago, garfield said:

Mike D, this one’s on you.

Just now, Sutasaurus said:

Mike D, this one’s on you.

The only way a thread can be shut down is for persistent guideline violations (that I have been warning about) or the OP making the request. 

We don't close them because the topic may be "finished", so to speak.

Well have an on topic question about AI. And I don’t mean artificial intelligence or Allan Iverson.... 

What was in the proposal that is different from currently? Was it that other instruments can be used on the field and not confined to the pit? Saw some guesses in posts but no clear answer.

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well have an on topic question about AI. And I don’t mean artificial intelligence or Allan Iverson.... 

What was in the proposal that is different from currently? Was it that other instruments can be used on the field and not confined to the pit? Saw some guesses in posts but no clear answer.

I did not see any limit in the actual proposal. In the interview, Kathy Black stated that at this time the expectation would be that WW would be used in the pit as solo or small ensemble features. I guess that was the consensus of the task force that did the work that led to the proposal.  

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Currently, neither woodwinds nor strings are allowed in any musical capacity, whether on the field or in the pit. String instruments that have been featured during the past few years have only been allowed because they're classified as electronics, ie they are electric violins, electric guitars, etc (or they were prop instruments "played" by actors, with their "music" being produced by a synth).

The proposal, as written, would have allowed for any instrument to be used in any capacity, both on the field and in the pit, as a section or as a solo. So corps A could have changed nothing, corps B could have featured a woodwind soloist in the pit, and corps C could have fielded a full woodwind/strings line for the whole show in the drill, and those would have all been legal.

28 minutes ago, Year Fiver said:

String instruments that have been featured during the past few years have only been allowed because they're classified as electronics, ie they are electric violins, electric guitars, etc (or they were prop instruments "played" by actors, with their "music" being produced by a synth). .

Talk about loops holes.

12 hours ago, garfield said:

Whatever.

I don’t live to be judged by you or anyone else.

hey you're the first to cry foul, so live in glass houses....

• Like 2