2020 Rules Proposals

16 minutes ago, Year Fiver said:

For Soundsport championships, there's no box, so the judges sit in the bleachers, in a blocked-off section that could easily seat over a dozen if not two dozen spectators. And since those judges do make tapes, I would imagine that buffer is the ideal situation for them, especially since no one gets to impede their view or distract them otherwise. I would venture that this is one of the things they're looking at now, to deliberate on later--whether or not there are places within each stadium which could accommodate a judge and whether or not ticket sales can take the hit of unavailable seating.

Judges sitting in the stands has/is an issue at the Cadets Clifton Shows.

A few years ago Clifton redid their stadium ,and put in  a 400 meter track and synthetic turf.

This "shifted" the field, so that the center of the Press Box is now on the 35 yard line,not the 50.

Because of this,they end up sitting at least some of the Judges at the top of the stadium,on the 50.

In addition to losing these  "Super Premium" seats,the Judges  loudly "jabber" away into their 

recorders through each corps' shows.

Its very distracting/annoying,especially these are sold as the "best " seats.

9 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Such archaic thinking, to allow the sounds from a WW instrument on the field but not allow the instrument itself. 

Agree with you 100%.

But,as a dinosaur,I'm of the opinion that the mistake was DCI allowing the sound to be electronically created in the first 

place.

Yea,I know,water under the bridge.

Never going back,etc.

6 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Or they're sneaking snivelling cowards! 

Is there any public list of who was in the Instructors caucus? And who are the "Corps Directors" Voting? 

And what corps where allowed to vote? 31 total votes, 22 WC corps, the rest are all OC Corps? 9 OC corps? Or are the DCI Board or other interested unaffiliated parties allowed to vote.

With the Instructors Caucus voting 19-12 on AI and several other measures there is a clear line here. You would Assume one of the 19 in favor was Bluecoats and the other corps participating in the Task Force. Who is sitting on that Task force? You would assume that the OC Corps voted for AI as it would absolutely increase their numbers and help to ensure the survival of their corps. So without knowing details you can assume 12 WC instructors voted against AI.

For the Corps Directors Vote, I meant to say, are the Glorified Tour managers with Corps Directors titles allowed to vote over the CEO's level of their Organizations? For example, Shawn Gallant voting instead of David Gibbs?

For the Instructors, I assume the corps have several different reps there, (Saw Leon May's FB Photo,)  Gaines, May, and Sacktig were there. I would assume they where representing and voting for their corps. Given their involvement with WG and other WGI Winds group you would think these guys are joining their Bluecoats colleagues in Allowing AI to pass.

Once the 19-12 vote split happened I was talking with my wife and said no way these guys are voting one way without being in line with or having already garnered an indication from their corps directors on how the Director was going to vote. So I thought the AI proposal would pass and was shocked to see that it failed.

Was there really an independent vote? Were the staffs and directors not aligned or allowed to converse after the Instructor Caucus and before the Director's Vote ? Would a corps director openly decide against the wishes of their own instructors? 

You figured there to have been conversation between the voting instructor and the Corps Director before the process and that they where in line, and in agreement. As a Designer I would be furious to find out that a Corps Director cowardly changed his mind and voted against our discussions and against my vote as the Instructor voting on behalf of the organization.

At least 4 Corps directors did just that to their staff. 

Edited by Glenn426

28 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

You would assume that the OC Corps voted for AI as it would absolutely increase their numbers and help to ensure the survival of their corps.

You keep saying this, but I can tell you firsthand that's not the general attitude in OC.

Mike

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Is there any public list of who was in the Instructors caucus? And who are the "Corps Directors" Voting? 

And what corps where allowed to vote? 31 total votes, 22 WC corps, the rest are all OC Corps? 9 OC corps? Or are the DCI Board or other interested unaffiliated parties allowed to vote.

With the Instructors Caucus voting 19-12 on AI and several other measures there is a clear line here. You would Assume one of the 19 in favor was Bluecoats and the other corps participating in the Task Force. Who is sitting on that Task force? You would assume that the OC Corps voted for AI as it would absolutely increase their numbers and help to ensure the survival of their corps. So without knowing details you can assume 12 WC instructors voted against AI.

For the Corps Directors Vote, I meant to say, are the Glorified Tour managers with Corps Directors titles allowed to vote over the CEO's level of their Organizations? For example, Shawn Gallant voting instead of David Gibbs?

For the Instructors, I assume the corps have several different reps there, (Saw Leon May's FB Photo,)  Gaines, May, and Sacktig were there. I would assume they where representing and voting for their corps. Given their involvement with WG and other WGI Winds group you would think these guys are joining their Bluecoats colleagues in Allowing AI to pass.

Once the 19-12 vote split happened I was talking with my wife and said no way these guys are voting one way without being in line with or having already garnered an indication from their corps directors on how the Director was going to vote. So I thought the AI proposal would pass and was shocked to see that it failed.

Was there really an independent vote? Were the staffs and directors not aligned or allowed to converse after the Instructor Caucus and before the Director's Vote ? Would a corps director openly decide against the wishes of their own instructors? 

You figured there to have been conversation between the voting instructor and the Corps Director before the process and that they where in line, and in agreement. As a Designer I would be furious to find out that a Corps Director cowardly changed his mind and voted against our discussions and against my vote as the Instructor voting on behalf of the organization.

At least 8 Corps directors did just that to their staff. 

I would not be so quick to assume just about any of those.

Key point - instructors not only are allowed, but expected to vote differently from corps directors.  The two caucuses are evaluating different aspects.  For example, the financial impact is clearly part of the corps director purview, but not that of the instructor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MikeN said:

You keep saying this, but I can tell you firsthand that's not the general attitude in OC.

Mike

They might be looking at added costs too..... equipment and added techs for said instruments 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Re All-instruments:

At the end of the day, I wasn't persuaded by the half-baked evidence for revenue. I was put off by the proposal's pretensions to justifications other than revenue. Ms. Black's revenue-forward interview only underscored the dissonance.

At the same time, I read several arguments that dinos who might have taken their money and gone home would not have moved the needle much on the cash-flow statements of any individual corps. I think that's probably correct. Every corps has a few benefactors with deep pockets. But drum-corps finances is a game of multipliers, not unicorns.

Few corps have the resources to simply stand up an entirely new type of touring ensemble that includes WWs, let alone provide such a new ensemble with a circuit of competitions against other similar ensembles. Yet I would welcome the creation of a "major leagues" for marching bands as marching bands. Let a thousand flowers bloom.

. . . But now that DCI's revenue-creation task force has been sent back to the drawing board, I would recommend they consider the expense side of the sheet to improve the finances of member corps. Limits are a creative force -- ask any 6 year-old flying to the moon in a cardboard box. For a long while now, maximalism has been the only method rewarded competitively, on the field and in the audition wars. Perhaps a little minimalism would be both a welcome change on the field, among students -- and on the bottom line. Pour more of the available resources into intelligent design and arrangement. More communication and execution, less wow factor. Better transitions within the program, for example, rather than better sound effects. Better writing, and less focus on the backdrop. BK in 2019 gave us a taste of what that could be -- not in their head-spacey kind of mood necessarily, but in their minimalist approach to the stage. They put their focus on the writing and the cohesiveness of their program. It carried them a long way. DCI remains afflicted by a lot of chopped-up, bolted-together programming. That is an avenue for advance and innovation and excellence that isn't cheap, but could be pursued without having to also continue the arms-race side of DCI. Take the Cadets of 2019, lose the staircases and give that boatload of talent a well-built program on a spare canvas, and they would have been 6th place or higher.

Perhaps we can leave the Age of Cheap Theatrical Tricks behind, and enter a new age of Smart Adaptation to Limits.

• Thanks 2

Hey Beeker (responding to the avatar)....

what’s this L word you said... limits???

picturing Fonzie trying to say he was wrong.... Li.... Lim.... Lim hits....

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

. . . But now that DCI's revenue-creation task force has been sent back to the drawing board, I would recommend they consider the expense side of the sheet to improve the finances of member corps.

Yes.

We just learned they have a whole committee - sorry, a "task force" for seeking new revenue sources.  Why is there no task force for controlling costs?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Mike

25 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

They might be looking at added costs too..... equipment and added techs for said instruments 

They are happy then to remain in OC? Outside of BDB and SCVC, you would think the goal is to get into WC. Having a Full Corps should be the goal every year. Having more bodies at their audition camp would help them achieve their goals. Not that this rule would guarantee any of that but you would think that more local Kids would go to march the OC corps if this rule opened up the recruitment to everyone. (By Local, I mean within an hour Driving distance to the location of the Winter Camps) These OC Corps could become an All-star Marching Band for the area they are from. The onus would be on the corps to market and make the camps in a high BOA Density area, (Cobb County, Indianapolis, Dallas)

On the subject of OC, I am surprised that someone within the OC Ranks didn't stand up and propose to allow for OC to be AI as revenue increasing tool.

The majority of the fans of DCI are not and do not follow OC until the final week (if that) The emotional connection is simply not there. Why not allow OC to become its own thing? Where there are less rules and there is an opportunity for the Art form to work out its kinks and provide a test bed for WC.

As the Sound guy from BAC Said "DCI is not an all Weather Sport anymore" If it's raining most corps are not having Ensemble as the Speakers and Front ensemble cannot be in the Rain, Same would apply to the WW instruments. You'd be hard pressed to find a corps that will willingly rehearse in the Rain, so the WW would have as much concerns about getting wet as the Front Ensemble would. Same applies to High Wind, Or Lightning.