2020 Rules Proposals

20 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

there are many in DCI who would cheer if legacy fans went away

If true, then as I said, they're lying to themselves. I work at a performing arts organization. It's absolutely true that many of our most dedicated supporters are older and less open to edgier material. But our purpose is to serve our whole community, not just the poor but adventurous members of it! And we'd fold if we abandoned our well-heeled customers.

8 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

Oh I hear you.  I don’t want or like any instrument changes.  I don’t even like trombones French horns..etc.   Not me but someone else might say trombones are brass but when you put flutes out there you totally change and ruin the whole thing (ie sound).   I think that’s the dangerous line you cross  with some people in regards to using  woodwinds . 

Just some random thoughts… 😊

I’m hoping you’re right but my faith in humankind is somewhat diminished lately.

13 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

200 members and I keep hearing my college MB director/drill designer who kept band at 150 max. “Too many people gets in the way of my drill”.

And we didn’t even have props to get in the way of the drill

Ohio State University, probably the nation's best known marching ensemble, has 195 members on the field (and 36 alternates). That's with no pit and no guard.

Bring on the marching violins!

1 hour ago, Glenn426 said:

So assuming this passes.

How do you think your corps will use the any instruments rule?

I don’t have a corps but honestly I’m not sure I want to see what they do unless it’s a giant bonfire 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Ohio State University, probably the nation's best known marching ensemble, has 195 members on the field (and 36 alternates). That's with no pit and no guard.

This worry about field crowding a mute point to me.. All of these drill writers write for their BOA bands and they are routinely 200+ members and they manage to find the right spacing, staging, flow etc..,

More of the field will be used.. 

12 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Interesting. As I recall, the first hints on these forums that woodwinds and other large changes were under consideration happened as far back as the night of Finals, nearly five months ago. But the conversation really picked up a couple months later when cixelsyd began closely examining DCI's various strategic initatives and asking what they might mean.

It was floating privately before finals 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yeah, in DCP discussions in the fall, a number of people here said they expected DCI to push for a size increase this year. Does anyone know if that was actually under consideration, and if so, why it was shelved?

I don’t know anything specific. My hunch was this was the easier first step 

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I don’t have a corps but honestly I’m not sure I want to see what they do unless it’s a giant bonfire 

I think the biggest proponents of this will be Crown & Bluecoats.

The Jazz nature in the music that BD plays will naturally lead them to having the best Jazz Saxophonists in the Country knocking on their door...

Funny enough the corps that I would think having the biggest hurdles internally with their alumni are BAC and SCV.. 

9 hours ago, garfield said:

Umm...they lay out the entire time frame in the proposal intro.  They weren't trying to "sneak" anything through.  There were congresses, and meetings, and experts, and input, and committee work, and and and...  This whole tin foil notion that DCI has something to gain by slitting their throats on poorly presented and not well-thought-out proposals is just bizarre.

Well, it wouldn't be unheard of for a bunch of drum corps leaders to put out a poorly presented proposal.