2020 Rules Proposals

On 1/3/2020 at 10:32 PM, Jeff Ream said:

easy. pass this, next year propose 200 max membership

I'm open to seeing evidence to the contrary, but I'm skeptical any corps director would want this.

The economics of running a nationwide tour for 154 are perilous enough as they are. I can't see any corps getting enthused about increasing overhead by 25+ percent (and logistics by 1 billion percent). There's not enough audition revenue in the world to cover those increased costs. Under this proposal, there's no more performance revenue on the table, no increase in the number of shows, and no one has provided the studies showing this would send ticket sales through the roof. In short, this idea is a torpedo into the financial hull of all but 2 or 3 corps.

. . . and if the long game here is to get DCI down to 2 or 3 supercorps, that runs directly against the rationale provided for this proposal.

• Thanks 1

Perhaps the key question which must be addressed before any "vote" is taken concerning DCI's rule changes is:

Has DCI as first envisioned gone past its shelf life (which if it has would mean it is time for it to end or others to form a new entity) ??? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

I'm open to seeing evidence to the contrary, but I'm skeptical any corps director would want this.

The economics of running a nationwide tour for 154 are perilous enough as they are. I can't see any corps getting enthused about increasing overhead by 25+ percent (and logistics by 1 billion percent). There's not enough audition revenue in the world to cover those increased costs. Under this proposal, there's no more performance revenue on the table, no increase in the number of shows, and no one has provided the studies showing this would send ticket sales through the roof. In short, this idea is a torpedo into the financial hull of all but 2 or 3 corps.

. . . and if the long game here is to get DCI down to 2 or 3 supercorps, that runs directly against the rationale provided for this proposal.

2 or 3?  G ee, that's even more elitist than 7 or 8.

1 hour ago, garfield said:

See, this is such a rational approach to this issue.  Wait to see if it happens and what the product might look like.

What's to wait for? Marching bands are out there. Most of the people who do drum corps design do bands too. It'd look like that. 

No one has suggested anything that would make it markedly different from the sound of BOA bands, so it's reasonable to expect that the same people who do BOA will replicate their work in that format, given that the tools would be exactly the same.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, xandandl said:

If certain posters can complain to DCP mods about the use of "mafia" as being offensive, we Irish/Scots and umpteen countries (like Greece, Italy, Israel) who have their own versions of bagpipes might find your slight as offensive as well. Unless the mods have one set of rules for one poster or two and a different set of rules for all the rest of us.

I think that if the mods found or find it offensive that I, as a college student some 30 years ago, played ANY music loudly regardless of the instrumentation or style and chose to ban me, then it would be one of the silliest bans on DCP that I have personally seen. But your point is well taken, and quite frankly, people generally love to find points of contention and reasons to be offended regardless of intent.

As an additional aside, I don't mind bagpipes. The guys nest door didn't seem overly fond of them, but that was kind of the point. It could have been a playlist of several genre's. The effect would have most likely been the same at the volume levels I was using. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

You have an advantage then and I can respect that. Still, others will listen with different ears and see with different eyes. 

Well, this is the darn nicest response I would have never thought of!  Huh!  

Does being this nice actually work?

/s

I feel exactly the same way and, for DECADES, I was solidly in the camp of no WW.  But now that it's here, I have just one foot in because I've heard some actual creative comments from designers and directors that make me say, "Hmm...  Now, that I think I'd like to see!"

Frankly, I'm quietly hopeful that the exodus of fans will put some downward pressure on the Friends pricing!

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I know what the product will look/sound like.  I have seen what these designers do in the 40 other circuits they work in during the DCI off-season.

Yea, but you've never seen 150 kids work it all season...

1 hour ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

...and if they can't justify the logistics of increasing membership, there is no benefit what-so-ever to allowing AI just so the WW can feel a part of the activity.  It was, is, and will be a financial interest and the only way there's a financial benefit is if the MM limit is raised to higher numbers.  It's for this reason alone that I think there will not be enough interest to pass AI.

Now, that said, I do see there being some social benefit to the activity by including WWs and the proposal might have support in the lower-placing ranks.  And it will definitely be enthusiastically received by corps who aren't filling the 154 limit now.

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

If certain posters can complain to DCP mods about the use of "mafia" as being offensive, we Irish/Scots and umpteen countries (like Greece, Italy, Israel) who have their own versions of bagpipes might find your slight as offensive as well. Unless the mods have one set of rules for one poster or two and a different set of rules for all the rest of us.

The "mafia" comments were about people.  Talking about people killing people is against the rules.

I hate bagpipes.  They all need to be crushed and burned.  I'm sorry if you play them or are fond of them and I don't consider them at all to be a reflection of you.

Not all Mafia are killers but all bagpipes are evil.  I'd bet you most Mafioso would agree that bagpipes should be destroyed even if they like the people playing them.

All my comments are made in jest and what you do with your bagpipes in your own house is your business.  I hope you have a sense of humor because you're taking this "...awful personal.  Tom, Michael's taking this awful serious.  He's making it poisonal."

Edited by garfield