2020 Rules Proposals

13 minutes ago, garfield said:

Yea, but you've never seen 150 kids work it all season...

So the difference/magic is how well the show is performed? Asked as did few years in the lesser Sr circuit and saw some entertaining shows by corps not that good. 

10 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So the difference/magic is how well the show is performed? Asked as did few years in the lesser Sr circuit and saw some entertaining shows by corps not that good. 

Well, seriously, hasn't that always been the case?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, garfield said:

For a lot of people yeah. But I’m one of those who would rather catch beginning of Prelims and see corps that aren’t full sized or over loaded with talent to see what they can do with what they have. Can also see how they have changed since year before. Just another way to enjoy the shows.

Reminds me of a roommate who could enjoy watching bunch of kids play baseball as much as watching MLB level play. He said he felt he was more a fan of the game than fan of MLB.

As for mb I just don’t see how I would suddenly become a fan of something I never followed before just because it would become “excellent”

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, garfield said:

It certainly has been a big part of the equation in DCI for decades. It definitely was the biggest factor for me wanting to join a DCI corps many moons ago. If I recall correctly, I came home from seeing my first DCI show saying, "Holy ####!!! They are so freaking good, I have to be a part of that!!!" 

Plus or minus a few expletives I'm not allowed to repeat here 😁 

4 hours ago, seen-it-all said:

Now why would anyone want to do that?! Or contact DCI directly to seek more  clarification on all these procedural issues for that matter? It's so much easier to just hop online and go round and round with the same 5 or 6 people in the Great DCP Echo Chamber. As amusing as that has been, nothing will ever get resolved here, that's for sure. Hey, maybe someone should start up one of those online petitions. Those things always work! 😝

I’ve contacted folks. It’ll do as much good as it did previously 

3 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Not every musical group should be or needs to be all-inclusive by using every instrument.

Inclusive is the new dci buzzword. Wondering how much Cavies are getting grief behind the scenes for remaining all male or Crossmen for having an all female guard 

3 hours ago, garfield said:

See, this is such a rational approach to this issue.  Wait to see if it happens and what the product might look like.

That's called Giving the Benefit of the Doubt.

I see marching ensembles with woodwinds now. I see them because I’m paid to see them. If I’m not paid to see them I don’t pay to see them. It’s really quite simple 

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

If certain posters can complain to DCP mods about the use of "mafia" as being offensive, we Irish/Scots and umpteen countries (like Greece, Italy, Israel) who have their own versions of bagpipes might find your slight as offensive as well. Unless the mods have one set of rules for one poster or two and a different set of rules for all the rest of us.

People complain to DCP mods about several things. Context is generally the key deciding factor, not a specific word

1 hour ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

I'm open to seeing evidence to the contrary, but I'm skeptical any corps director would want this.

The economics of running a nationwide tour for 154 are perilous enough as they are. I can't see any corps getting enthused about increasing overhead by 25+ percent (and logistics by 1 billion percent). There's not enough audition revenue in the world to cover those increased costs. Under this proposal, there's no more performance revenue on the table, no increase in the number of shows, and no one has provided the studies showing this would send ticket sales through the roof. In short, this idea is a torpedo into the financial hull of all but 2 or 3 corps.

. . . and if the long game here is to get DCI down to 2 or 3 supercorps, that runs directly against the rationale provided for this proposal.

One word in the proposal shows the goal:

revenue

expense purposely ignored or downplayed. I’ve gotten that directly from people in the know... all they talk is revenue. I mention cost, and it’s ignored. You’d be amazed at who here is guilty

51 minutes ago, garfield said:

Yea, but you've never seen 150 kids work it all season...

Just because it’s performed great doesn’t mean you’ll like it. There’s incredible performances of opera out there, and it still doesn’t make me like the genre. If you don’t like the WHAT, the HOW isn’t going to change your view 

• Like 1