2020 Rules Proposals

27 minutes ago, garfield said:

Well, seriously, hasn't that always been the case?

No. Unless sticking to the criteria of a judging sheet, the how doesn’t dictate rewarding the what.

BD 2008-2013 performed incredibly. I still hate every show, and don’t watch or listen to them 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I see marching ensembles with woodwinds now. I see them because I’m paid to see them. If I’m not paid to see them I don’t pay to see them. It’s really quite simple 

Well, with your judging qualifications, you'd be qualified to be a DCIBands judge and get paid to see the Major League of it.

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

Just because it’s performed great doesn’t mean you’ll like it. There’s incredible performances of opera out there, and it still doesn’t make me like the genre. If you don’t like the WHAT, the HOW isn’t going to change your view 

Oh c’mon if it’s “excellent” ($1 to C Montgomery Burns) people are supposed to flip their bucks and butts down and just be thrilled to pieces. 
And if that worked out in real life there would be a crapload of people paying big bucks for the horse pull or sheep to shawl contests at the PA Farm Show this week as those are considered excellent among their enthusiasts 

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

Well, with your judging qualifications, you'd be qualified to be a DCIBands judge and get paid to see the Major League of it.

Is the Major League of lame Major Lame?

5 minutes ago, garfield said:

Not really. I’m certified for music effect and percussion on the local level. I don’t have a music degree which dci wants. Nor do I have the desire to take vacation time away from family to go across the country to rank and rate. The local circuit has been trying for years to get me to certify for ensemble or field, and I won’t do it. I don’t have the degree or background to speak technically on those sheets, nor do I want to. My advice to fix a woodwind issue would be to burn the instrument 

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

One word in the proposal shows the goal:

revenue

expense purposely ignored or downplayed. I’ve gotten that directly from people in the know... all they talk is revenue. I mention cost, and it’s ignored. You’d be amazed at who here is guilty

As it has been since the dawn of DCI.

I've talked with directors from the top to the bottom, and the first comment I hear is "maintenance", then needing mics, then "inclusion".

I've mostly heard talk of increasing membership here, with your tactics making some sense (first WW, then MM limits).

Just now, garfield said:

As it has been since the dawn of DCI.

I've talked with directors from the top to the bottom, and the first comment I hear is "maintenance", then needing mics, then "inclusion".

I've mostly heard talk of increasing membership here, with your tactics making some sense (first WW, then MM limits).

Yes cost never factors in. You proved my point. They gloss over it to get to the new buzzword 

10 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Just because it’s performed great doesn’t mean you’ll like it. There’s incredible performances of opera out there, and it still doesn’t make me like the genre. If you don’t like the WHAT, the HOW isn’t going to change your view 

And there have been TONS of shows in drum corps that I can't watch or listen to, both old and new.

Again, as it's been since the beginning.

9 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

No. Unless sticking to the criteria of a judging sheet, the how doesn’t dictate rewarding the what.

BD 2008-2013 performed incredibly. I still hate every show, and don’t watch or listen to them 

See, I just said that.

And yet, here we both are.  If you leave because of WWs, you'll simply be acting on those feelings of hate.

After hearing a show or two, I might feel the same.  But I'm willing to give it the chance to be impressive and it sounds like you're foregone conclusion is it won't be.  That's OK, too, I guess.