2020 Rules Proposals

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

No, no, Jim.  That's not what I was saying.  Here's his quote:

"BD 2008-2013 performed incredibly. I still hate every show, and don’t watch or listen to them"

And you responded by saying “if you leave because of your feelings on WWs, you’d be acting on those feelings of hate”. Which has nothing to do with Jeff’s comments about BD shows. Hence my confusion...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

It’s not hate. I don’t pay to see an idiom I don’t enjoy. I don’t like opera, so I don’t pay to see it. I don’t like nascar, so I don’t pay to see it. As we have both said to others here “ why do you pay to watch something you don’t like?” I see lots I like in drum corps without woodwinds. I don’t like drum corps WITH woodwinds. I don’t pay to see BOA, TOB, Cavalcade of Bands, the new Maryland circuit or USBands now. Why would dci be any different since it’s the exact same product? 

why is that so hard for someone as intelligent as you to understand?

Hey, because you said THIS!:

"BD 2008-2013 performed incredibly. I still hate every show, and don’t watch or listen to them"

Geesh, you used the term and I was referring to it and saying ce la vis! 

But thanks.  I think there was a compliment buried in there somewhere.

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And you responded by saying “if you leave because of your feelings on WWs, you’d be acting on those feelings of hate”. Which has nothing to do with Jeff’s comments about BD shows. Hence my confusion...

:doh:

I give up.

Next subject.

7 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Forgot to ask... who was the manufacturer... but got a feeling I know the answer already

I think they were DIE-NASTY horns. Both the G and Bb. Both had their bore modified by Mike Corrigan, The BAC Custom Music Repair man. If I remember correctly he also worked on BD Dynasty horns during the summer of 02, modifying them to play better... 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I see.  So because of your personal experience with one G horn and one Bb horn, all Bb brass therefore must be superior?

Being one of the few people here (that I know of) who marched both G and Bb in DCI, I think it gives me first hand experience.. Not just someone listening in the stands or in the lot. And the feedback with my Section and other people in the hornline was universally the same.. 

Had we had the fortune of playing Bb Yamaha's the superiority would've increased..  Although back when I marched Yamaha only made a convertible 4/4 Bb Tuba and while it played great was too small for my taste, and it was the horn I played in my HS marching band.. 

3 hours ago, xandandl said:

Perhaps the key question which must be addressed before any "vote" is taken concerning DCI's rule changes is:

Has DCI as first envisioned gone past its shelf life (which if it has would mean it is time for it to end or others to form a new entity) ??? 

Since DCI is the corps, how do you envision that happening? Who would form the new entity, and where would the corps come from?

13 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Being one of the few people here (that I know of) who marched both G and Bb in DCI, I think it gives me first hand experience.. Not just someone listening in the stands or in the lot. And the feedback with my Section and other people in the hornline was universally the same.. 

Had we had the fortune of playing Bb Yamaha's the superiority would've increased..  Although back when I marched Yamaha only made a convertible 4/4 Bb Tuba and while it played great was too small for my taste, and it was the horn I played in my HS marching band.. 

Yep manufacturer does make a difference from what I’ve read and the little bit I’ve experienced. Played Olds Piston/Rotor which gave me a good opinion of that era of horns. Later found that was one of the better made brands and some others were just beastly in tone and how they played. Played Kanstul 3v later which had a good sound but every other year it went to instrument repair place to get valve sleeves realigned so I could get the #### valves out.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I know what the product will look/sound like.  I have seen what these designers do in the 40 other circuits they work in during the DCI off-season.

That's the issue, Any other circuit pales in comparison with the amount of rehearsal time that a DCI group can devote to the product.. That's like comparing the Ohio State Marching Band and saying that you know what DCI would sound like... 

Its a different animal. There will never be more WW members on a field than Brass members in DCI, as is common in most BOA groups. DCI will maintain it Brass dominant sonority.

44 minutes ago, garfield said:

No, no, Jim.  That's not what I was saying.  Here's his quote:

Yes I hated BD those years. There were other corps there too, but why let rational thought get in the way of your defense of the dci powers