2020 Rules Proposals

On 1/5/2020 at 6:57 AM, cixelsyd said:

?

Consider how sloppy and incomplete things are now.  Then, remember that before these proposals were published, they went through a process of refinement where the Executive Director, the Artistic Director, the Judge Administrator, and a Rules and System Task Force of nine other people go to work.  Among their tasks:

• check proposals for completeness
  • get input from other DCI personnel on financial, marketing, and promoter/sponsor impact
  • consider suggested implementation timeline
  • re-publish refined proposals December 1st for Task Force to review
  • then solicit input on judging impact, logistics, operational changes, and timeline (again)
  • re-re-publish proposals December 8th, reject those with insufficient data/research or lack of clarity/definition

Here me out: what if DCI says this proposal was just a draft that shouldn't have been released and is being misunderstood and they withdraw it?

I understand that other, larger governm uh, organizations, have taken that approach on much more serious matters.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Here me out: what if DCI says this proposal was just a draft that shouldn't have been released and is being misunderstood and they withdraw it? 

Wouldn't the PR dept. of DCI have gone public already with their spin on this issue?

20 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Wouldn't the PR dept. of DCI have gone public already with their spin on this issue?

I'm just giving DCI an option here, if they're having second thoughts.

I mean, if it worked for the biggest employer in the world today, then surely it can work for DCI: "We didn't mean it! Look over there! Nothing to see here!"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

More Rocket Mortgage ads!

at triple volume

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

When exactly does this voting take place?  I apologize for being completely ignorant of the process.  I’m just one of the hoi polloi. 😂

friday i believe is instructors caucus, final vote saturday

• Thanks 1

A question regarding this rule proposal:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Allow for Live Sampling Created in Real Time

Proposed by: Matt Jordan, Jon Vanderkolff, Bluecoats

Summary: This proposal would allow rhythmic effects such as delay and live looping to be used by corps in performances. Not intended to legalize pre-recorded or sequenced music, this proposal aims for performers to use the stated effects on instruments being played in real time.

On the record: “If our goal is to train performers to have a future in music performance, using delay effects and live looping are educating our students more accurately than the current time-consuming system of having an electronics designer ‘approximate’ those effects.”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This sounds OK to me, but I would have liked a rule to disallow "pre-recorded or sequenced music". Despite this proposal saying that that would not be permitted, there's apparently an exception in place for pre-recorded singing, which has been used repeatedly in the past few years and which very very wrong in an activity where performers are judged.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

It's all arbitrary and bound by a voting body.  Nothing wrong with that.  They are trying to balance their creative interests and the proverbial sacred cows of the fans (which sometimes align and sometimes do not).

No question. DCI makes its own rules and can make whatever rules it wants. I merely think that there are more opportunities for artistic development, given more instruments.

On 1/5/2020 at 1:18 PM, garfield said:

...and if they can't justify the logistics of increasing membership, there is no benefit what-so-ever to allowing AI just so the WW can feel a part of the activity.  It was, is, and will be a financial interest and the only way there's a financial benefit is if the MM limit is raised to higher numbers.  It's for this reason alone that I think there will not be enough interest to pass AI.

Now, that said, I do see there being some social benefit to the activity by including WWs and the proposal might have support in the lower-placing ranks.  And it will definitely be enthusiastically received by corps who aren't filling the 154 limit now.

Concur, and would add only that, for all but the small number of corps that run significant annual budget surpluses, "financial benefit" means only avoiding red ink.

Smaller corps who aren't filling the 154 now might be enthusiastic about opening the ranks to WW players. But WW players will bring new costs that are greater than the incremental costs of adding another trumpet or FE player. Arrangements will be more expensive; drill design will require more variables/complexity to manage staging of a greater number of musical voices; even drill instruction may require some new talent/skills among the instructors to get the best sound/visual out of a squad of clarinets. And you're gonna need mics/mixing for all those WWs.

Then of course the ET will need a new bank of shelves for the saxophones . . . . 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I understand that other, larger governm uh, organizations, have taken that approach on much more serious matters.

i think it's legit within their rules

• Haha 1