2020 Rules Proposals

14 hours ago, Ghost said:

Wouldn't the PR dept. of DCI have gone public already with their spin on this issue?

nope. less said the better

• Haha 1

Just now, exitmusic said:

No question. DCI makes its own rules and can make whatever rules it wants. I merely think that there are more opportunities for artistic development, given more instruments.

I dunno...

I'm not sure that we can really say that a painting with more color has a greater opportunity for artistic development than a painting with primary colors only.  I'm not sure (more to the point here) that a symphony orchestra has more opportunity for artistic development than a woodwind quintet.

Sure there is more of a pallet there, which merely gives more opportunity for something... a wider palette of sound and experimentation perhaps.  But I don't know that I would quantify artistic development by the size of the available palette.  Idiomatic music can develop to infinite places within its idiom.

I think that's why some of the justification for electronics gets people (rightly) bent out of shape.  Some of the justification given isn't really logical or honest.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

I dunno...

I'm not sure that we can really say that a painting with more color has a greater opportunity for artistic development than a painting with primary colors only.  I'm not sure (more to the point here) that a symphony orchestra has more opportunity for artistic development than a woodwind quintet.

Sure there is more of a pallet there, which merely gives more opportunity for something... a wider palette of sound and experimentation perhaps.  But I don't know that I would quantify artistic development by the size of the available palette.  Idiomatic music can develop to infinite places within its idiom.

I think that's why some of the justification for electronics gets people (rightly) bent out of shape.  Some of the justification given isn't really logical or honest.

You are right! And I am also right!

So, why not just make it all legal and let the market decide?

2 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

Because this proposal itself is poorly conceived, and passing a poorly outlined initiative like this one will lead to poor execution. If you want to go forth with big and new changes, you have to have all the pieces already set and have as many failsafe plans as possible to address obvious risks. The longform proposal is the absolute least elaborative out of all of this year's submissions, because it identifies so few of the glaringly obvious issues, and those it does identify, it merely handwaves over. If you're going to vote for something, vote for something that inspires confidence, not some hacked together job that wants to shift all burdens of responsibility onto corps instead of doing the responsible governing body thing and working out meaningful details and logistics until the point where the obvious benefits speak for themselves instead of having to be defended with "well why not?"'s by random people on the internet.

53 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

I dunno...

winner

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

winner

And no looking behind the curtain either... 

Just now, exitmusic said:

Because it really is arbitration... based on mood and current ticket sales and show designs, etc.  Making a leap from a platform that isn't really quite there is not only risky, but it is also unwarranted.

There's no sense in letting the market decide poorly while the market is relatively favorable with small steps.

Edited by cfirwin3

49 minutes ago, Year Fiver said:

Because this proposal itself is poorly conceived, and passing a poorly outlined initiative like this one will lead to poor execution. If you want to go forth with big and new changes, you have to have all the pieces already set and have as many failsafe plans as possible to address obvious risks. The longform proposal is the absolute least elaborative out of all of this year's submissions, because it identifies so few of the glaringly obvious issues, and those it does identify, it merely handwaves over. If you're going to vote for something, vote for something that inspires confidence, not some hacked together job that wants to shift all burdens of responsibility onto corps instead of doing the responsible governing body thing and working out meaningful details and logistics until the point where the obvious benefits speak for themselves instead of having to be defended with "well why not?"'s by random people on the internet.

If those who vote believe as you do, they can vote “no”. It has happened before.

1 hour ago, exitmusic said:

Because drum corps, and by extension DCI, does not exist to serve "the market." They, and it, exist to serve the youth who pay tuition to participate. To the degree there is a "market" for a drum corps to serve, that market is the people who sign up to participate in their ensembles.