2020 Rules Proposals

18 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Yeah, they were metal back then.  We used one in 78 in The Poet and the Peasant. 

We used one in the "Color My World" portion of our Chicago medley in '75...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

As someone here said, what can asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

That is to say: I too would like to see the data that supports this proposal.

Same, but the object of my inquiry in this particular post is not the proposal as written. My post concerned an extrapolation that some people have made about the proposal.

As written, the proposal is justified only as a way to expand the number of youth in the activity. These are empty, even cynical, words so long as there is no concurrent proposal to increase the size of the competing units. As others have said, they believe this proposal is only the first of two shoes to drop -- the second one being an increase in the size of corps. And if these other people are correct, then the AI proposal is even more cynical for failing to show its hand. But that's another topic.

What I'm focused on here is on what some others here have been saying -- namely, that the proposal actually represents something else besides its stated purpose. This argument asserts that the proposal is existential to DCI. Under this theory:

• Unless DCI accommodates woodwinds, marching bands are poised to rise up and replace DCI as Marching Music's Major Leagues
  • DCI has a duty to its own survival to parry this threat

My immediate point is that I don't see any evidence to support either of these assertions.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Same, but the object of my inquiry in this particular post is not the proposal as written. My post concerned an extrapolation that some people have made about the proposal.

As written, the proposal is justified only as a way to expand the number of youth in the activity. These are empty, even cynical, words so long as there is no concurrent proposal to increase the size of the competing units. As others have said, they believe this proposal is only the first of two shoes to drop -- the second one being an increase in the size of corps. And if these other people are correct, then the AI proposal is even more cynical for failing to show its hand. But that's another topic.

What I'm focused on here is on what some others here have been saying -- namely, that the proposal actually represents something else besides is stated purpose. This argument asserts that the proposal is existential to DCI. Under this theory:

• Unless DCI accommodates woodwinds, marching bands are poised to rise up and replace DCI as Marching Music's Major Leagues

My immediate point is that I don't see any evidence to support either of these assertions.

I wouldn’t ascribe any nefarious intent. I don’t think they’re being cynical. I’m sure for the most part they’re fine people just trying to figure out how to get through today and tomorrow and the next days without going insolvent. Woodwinds is today’s grasping for that savior. Not cynical. Just not very well thought out.

What does irritate me is the packaging of it all under some high-minded “let’s stop being exclusionary”, “for the kids”, “need to evolve”, “need more palette/color/sonority...”. THAT is the stuff I find cynical. In my opinion it would be much better to say - we need more $$ to survive. We think adding woodwinds can help. Then we could argue that point, not whether we need to be able, for some reason, to faithfully replicate Hill Auditorium on a football field.

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

However, I do know a corps that released live pigeons... :whistle: :laughing:

Sun cries fowl as Westshore gives DCA the bird! DCN headline!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

What I'm focused on here is on what some others here have been saying -- namely, that the proposal actually represents something else besides is stated purpose. This argument asserts that the proposal is existential to DCI. Under this theory:

you're asking for logical reasoning. they're looking at either "art" or potential imagined revenue without considering cost

39 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Sun cries fowl as Westshore gives DCA the bird! DCN headline!

Yep. Remember it well.

All too well. :laughing:

8 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Yep. Remember it well.

All too well. :laughing:

Saw it from the stands. Everyone laughing and I’m swearing thinking WSM will get a penalty and miss first ever top 5 finish. But they still made 5th.... sorry Fran.... kinda... 🤪

on topic what is not allowed? No powder, flames, water but what else is officially verboten?

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Saw it from the stands. Everyone laughing and I’m swearing thinking WSM will get a penalty and miss first ever top 5 finish. But they still made 5th.... sorry Fran.... kinda... 🤪

on topic what is not allowed? No powder, flames, water but what else is officially verboten?

Good question.

Heh... several years later, early 1990s... Mickey told me he should have penalized Westshore that night. :laughing: Oh well.  LOL. Stuff happens, right? That "incident" capped off an absolutely bizarre summer for us. Several of Sun's all-time best "war stories" came from 1980.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Good question.

Heh... several years later, early 1990s... Mickey told me he should have penalized Westshore that night. :laughing: Oh well.  LOL. Stuff happens, right? That "incident" capped off an absolutely bizarre summer for us. Several of Sun's all-time best "war stories" came from 1980.

Mickey told me had had a hard time not laughing watching Walter fire the gun and the birds not flinching

• Haha 2