2020 Rules Proposals

Just got a chance to look at the interview with Ms Black.  My initial thoughts are that she is an attorney, so she is practiced at speaking in public and chooses her words wisely.  Her eye contact/engagement and anchor points are appropriate.  She uses the pronouns of "we" and "our" to express the point that this is about the collective to make the listener feel at ease that this is just business as usual.  However,  when the pronoun changes to "I" and ownership is implied, then she is clearly uncomfortable and her nervousness is apparent to me.  The anchor points change, her voice inflection changes as well as her body movements outside of the cone.  My opinion is that she is not comfortable with this proposal, or that her name is on it ; but that she will own it regardless of the outcome.  Her body betrayed her when it became about her, IMO, and the rest is just practiced attorney stuff that she is comfortable with.

I also believe that she knows already what we suspect and that this will pass.  As other's have written, they don't care about the "me's" in this. As was stated, they are only concerned with potential future revenues.  But, they are also aware that there are a few more "me's" out there. They are willing to sacrifice the "me's" for the potential future revenue.  I also agree with others who believe that they should be careful what they wish for.

Just the thoughts of a long time fan and supporter (1976)

• Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

No. Because we won’t be there. 
And I’ll add it so you don’t have to - and we won’t be missed.  I may still come here to irritate people though. Haven’t thought that one all the way through yet. 

So by Tomorrow morning(when this passes) I won't see any of you around. 

I'm so sad.

Can you give me one last snarky response for old times sake?

15 minutes ago, WaxDCIFan said:

Watched the interview with Kathy Black.  Clearly the decision to go "any instrument" was based on increasing revenue for DCI.

How about this - if DCI goes "any instrument," I won't spend another red cent on DCI tickets, DVDs, member fees, etc.  In the past decade with two marching members, attending shows, buying overpriced T shirts, etc etc I would say I have easily spent close to $75,000 supporting this activity and it's member units.  I would rather support our local high school marching band than a bunch of over-inflated international marching bands.

Call it a $75K revenue loss for my part.

As far as the "incomprehensible" policy of allowing electric guitars and violins versus acoustic, DCI is paying the price for bargaining away it's soul piecemeal.  Electric guitars and violins should never have been allowed in the first place, and you wouldn't be facing this problem.  They added little or nothing to the performance.  Just served to water down your brand a little bit at a time.  Now DCI is forgoing it's venerable identity en masse.  Nice knowing you DCI.

In Navy radio-telephone speak, "AR" (over, out)

You've already spent your money. If they kept everything in your liking you would spend maybe another $15,000 in your lifetime? 

While if DCI adds a new WW player as a fan they will spend a potential of $85,000 in their lifetime? 

The money you've spent is already spent. You can't ask for a refund. 

It's a simple business principal.  

Edited by Glenn426

2 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I feel excluded. They’re turning it to summer marching band circuit which I won’t watch. I’m a victim. Hold me. 

Yes that’s a shot at today’s culture. But it’s also true I’m out. And therefore, in some way, by including WW they are excluding those who find the change a bridge too far. Or that red line. However you say it. 

Let’s face it! Some people don’t have a life without drum corps. I get it! WW or not they need there fix. Have at it! 

I’m not going to be manipulated by the dreads of the activity who frankly are only involved for the money, and I’m okay with being criticized for having the fortitude and conviction to walk away. 

There’s plenty of other things in life to enjoy and spend money on besides drum corps. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

I'm so sad.

I'll be coming here to Schadenfreude my a$$ off on a regular basis.   Snarky enough?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

I'm so sad.

If human nature and the lack of Hollywood-ites who are still here after swearing they were moving after the 2016 election are any indication...

...you'll have largely the same group of people here giving you snark.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

Does DCA include all instruments? I need alternatives to DCI next year ...#swan song..peace

Why doesn’t DCI just merge with BOA and call it a day?  By allowing all instrumentation you’ve now created a competitor to BOA. In one or two more years, finances will be such that it won’t make sense to have competing organizations so they will probably become one. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

I'm so sad.

I’ve heard this one . . .

’ Wisdom comes with age.’

• Like 1