2020 Rules Proposals

3 minutes ago, rmurrey74 said:

Crossing my fingers that any instrument passes! After being active in the activity for over 25 years, I have to say, it’s about time!

Kathy can point at you, Glenn and MikeD as evidence of the overwhelming support for the proposal. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

Come on. You can't use Neil Peart as a prop to support a woodwinds / no woodwinds platform. Neil revolutionized drumming, definitely strayed from the status quo.

You obviously didn’t read what I said about staying true to ones beliefs. That’s ok I’m not surprised 

1 hour ago, Glenn426 said:

So by Tomorrow morning(when this passes) I won't see any of you around. 

I'm so sad.

Can you give me one last snarky response for old times sake?

So when you read that I may still come here to irritate people, you interpreted that to mean I won’t come here anymore?  That’s ..... interesting 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

You obviously didn’t read what I said about staying true to ones beliefs. That’s ok I’m not surprised 

Play the martyr card if you wish, I'm with you on most of your posts but thought it was a little weak using Neil as a weapon against woodwinds. All Instruments are the beliefs of other that they're being true to. I understand why people don't want all instruments, but I really don't think it will be the end of the genre. I think the genre already died. Troopers in pajamas was my wake up call that things have changed.

51 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

I tried to find woodwinds clamoring for inclusion in DCI, but I can't find any. Do you know what else I can' find other than here on DCP? People opposed to the idea. If it happens, not much will change for the vast majority. If it happens, not much will change for the vast majority.

I have seen opposition to woodwinds on Reddit and various Facebook groups. My thoughts on the Facebook groups is that many have probably not been to a Sophie in years and just like to argue. Reddit seems more opposed to the practical issues than tradition. DCP seems to have wide ranging opinions, some valid, others a bit out there. 

30 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Kathy Black interview - "Revenue":

She identifies the origin of the idea as a most curious and ironic source - a task force exploring the "new revenue" strategic plan objective.  Yet she only identified one possible new type of revenue - ticket sales to woodwind players.  We already market heavily to bands, so that would not be a "new" source of revenue.

Meanwhile, there is another strategic plan objective for growing current revenue sources.  Were they consulted about this proposal?  What if "new revenue" comes at the expense of losing ten times that much "current revenue"?

We call this... "Grasping at Straws"

Or in this case... "Grasping at Reeds".

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I have seen opposition to woodwinds on Reddit and various Facebook groups. My thoughts on the Facebook groups is that many have probably not been to a Sophie in years and just like to argue. Reddit seems more opposed to the practical issues than tradition. DCP seems to have wide ranging opinions, some valid, others a bit out there. 

I'm read-only on reddit, that place can be harsh. "I like puppies" turns into nazi sympathizing.  

1 minute ago, kalad's_phantoms_regiment said:

Not entirely on the topic of woodwinds, but I'm confused about Kathy Black's comment on guitars — haven't several corps used acoustic guitars recently? Southwind in 2018 comes to mind.

Yes, plugged in instruments on the sidelines is ok. No idea what year that was added. I am partial to the electric bass.

23 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Well if by “pure” you mean tinny and amplified through directional microphones, reverberating around the bouncy acoustics of an indoor stadium, while your chair is vibrating from obscenely over amplified thunderous goo, then sure. One last season. 

And this is why I'm always in the lot

• Like 1