2020 Rules Proposals

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

I'll be glad when the hyperbole comes back down to normal DCP-level and the quasi-personal, and largely-unfounded, commentary about the decision-makers is toned down.

Please excuse the very human reactions of an activity that has for years contributed to people's emotions - almost always in a positive way.

Edited by Continental
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

But if smaller open class groups that have a hard time getting members actively recruited local WW students to help fill their ranks it could help them get a few more students in the doors. It increases by a large amount their local talent pool. 

I think this is perfectly suited to OC!  A natural transition from Soundsport.

41 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Any Instrument Policy will advance to the member corps for a vote, as it passed in the Instructors Caucus.  However, the split vote there (19 to 12), compared to the unanimous approval they typically gave every other new toy, shows the appetite for this change is not where it needs to be yet.

But knowing who the 19 are will dictate who the next vote goes

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

The average age in the stands will drop. And they have the most disposable income 

I went to a Pacific Crest Drum Corps show many years ago, so I'm on their mailing list.  I give them money once a year because they're the only viable Drum Corps in Southern California.

That will stop if they turn into a marching band.  

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

But if smaller open class groups that have a hard time getting members actively recruited local WW students to help fill their ranks it could help them get a few more students in the doors. It increases by a large amount their local talent pool. 

The same will still happen. Thousands of brass players don’t go to these corps begging for bodies now. Instrumentation won’t change that

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

The average age in the stands will drop. And they have the most disposable income 

I've thought a lot about this and I agree that they (we) have the most disposable income.  But, I don't think that verifies the presumption that they actually SPEND it on the activity.

Someone here said his family spends about $15m on drum corps each year and that's in my ballpark.  Maybe you, too.  But, really, how many of us are there versus Sally Sax Player's Mom and Dad and grandparents, and cousins, and a few friends from her band come to see her play "Professional" Band?  You don't longevity if the youngins spend more money and turn over every year.  Reeds, suitcases, backpacks, practice gear, travel gear... on and on.  What's the bigger amount each year versus what the old dino Friends and others spend?

I don't care how disposable income the age group has, I'm interested in how much income the drum corps get.