Email list of voting directors

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

then per their posted words....it's ineligible. seems like they need more transparency and word smithing

All three entities listed are INDIVIDUALS.

The rules provide an avenue for individuals to make proposals.

There is no wording that says ONLY these individuals can submit a proposal.

The DCI BoD is an ENTITY.

I agree that the proposal should have been signed by the entity but, according to a hint in an earlier post, I'm not sure we're seeing the finals distributed version of the proposals anyway.

2 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

It's not really an argument in any way except insofar as to whether the concept of "rules" means anything or not in a DCI setting. You seem to say that there are 'extra' rules that aren't enumerated, where most people would argue that rules designed to allow participation ONLY by the individuals enumerated necessarily excludes those who aren't.

It’s those double-secret probation rules that Dean Wormer had for Delta house. 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

It's not really an argument in any way except insofar as to whether the concept of "rules" means anything or not in a DCI setting. You seem to say that there are 'extra' rules that aren't enumerated, where the more logical argument is that rules designed to allow specified participants necessarily excludes those who aren't so specified.

I think Jeff called this "wordsmithing".

I'm not suggesting "extra" at all.  I'm simply saying that what is enumerated applies to individuals wishing to make proposals.  In those instances, the proposals must be submitted to the RSTF by a member corps director and NOT the individual.

The spirit of the rule is to both provide an avenue for, and to prevent frivolous proposals by, individuals or nutcases on DCP directly to the DCI BoD, Executive, or RSTF.  They must come through a member corps.

The BoD speaks for all member corps and, therefore, doesn't need a sponsoring corps to submit a proposal.

A friend of mine calls this "dieseling", like when your old carbureted car wouldn't shut off even when you turn the key - lubbata, lubbata, lubbata

You guys believe what you want and I'll believe what I want.  We'll each say "I'm right and you're wrong" and we'll avoid the dieseling.

In the end, by Monday, it won't mean anything anyway.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

I hope it passes so many of us don’t have to spend any more time or money on it. Then giggle at the circuit that’s gone full on bando. 

The circuit has always been full bando. Show someone off the street a drum corps video and and a marching band and they are going to call both band.

I'd like to see drum corps remain brass only but I'm not so short sighted to say I'll give up supporting KIDS (remember who you are supporting here) if they decide to add WW's. My guess is if they do add them it will be similar to string instruments, for solo/small ensemble efforts only.

Anyway the activity will still remain unique and will still showcase the best marching performers and shows on the planet. If people leave I say don't let the door hit you on the way and I'm betting the numbers that do leave are so small as to be insignificant.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, garfield said:

No, I haven't asserted anything of the sort.

Yes, you have:

On 1/3/2020 at 5:20 PM, garfield said:

DCI has committees.  Committees can make the basis of a rule change.  If no one member corps is presenting the idea, then the activity itself is presenting it, and the Chair of the BoD of the activity is then the submitter.

On 1/3/2020 at 7:32 PM, garfield said:

In the “old days” they might find some individual voice to present any idea.  But now we see lots of committees, most of which, if you read the bylaws, are doing administrative tasks desired by the membership.

You asserted that a committee wanted this proposed.

We'll all find out Saturday, right?

Nothing about this is guaranteed or set in stone.

The only thing I can absolutely, 100 percent guarantee is that the Tigers will win college football's FBS national championship Monday night. :tongue:

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

You asserted that a committee wanted this proposed.

You’re hung up on technicalities. The proposal is real and will be voted on this weekend. 

July 2020 - WW members are told to pack and go home. A DCP analysis has made the all instrument rule invalid. 

1 hour ago, Lance said:

amps got passed, and the corps that said they would never use them even if they got passed started using them in almost no time.  they are completely and unequivocally the norm now.   

amps were inevitable.

so are woodwinds, unfortunately.  

Maybe they will turn down the brass amps so we can hear the woodwinds

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

The circuit has always been full bando. Show someone off the street a drum corps video and and a marching band and they are going to call both band.

I'd like to see drum corps remain brass only but I'm not so short sighted to say I'll give up supporting KIDS (remember who you are supporting here) if they decide to add WW's. My guess is if they do add them it will be similar to string instruments, for solo/small ensemble efforts only.

Anyway the activity will still remain unique and will still showcase the best marching performers and shows on the planet. If people leave I say don't let the door hit you on the way and I'm betting the numbers that do leave are so small as to be insignificant.

So as an insider, you define the activity by how an outsider defines it. Ok.

It WAS unique. It will be unique no longer. Just another lame marching band circuit. Even the best lame marching bands are still lame.

It is not about the kids and hasn’t been for quite some time.

And I don’t care if I’m missed or not. One of John Wooden’s creeds is - be true to yourself. So you do you and I’ll do me. And as an added bonus I won’t call you short sighted as you did me. Peace. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1