DCI A/I and Judging

Could DCI passing Any Instrument (A/I) help improve drum corps' qualified judging ranks?

A typical band director now has to go through a battery of testing and experience assignments to judge drum corps the "DCI Way" specifically because the instrumentation is different than most band programs.

Might A/I open up the judging qualification ranks to a greater pool of qualified judges?

And, if so, wouldn't that potentially save DCI money by being able to assign a greater pool of local judges instead of flying judges in for local shows?

Potentially, then, A/I could, in fact, be a money-saver and build the bench of available adjudication interpretations of the sheets.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, garfield said:

Could DCI passing Any Instrument (A/I) help improve drum corps' qualified judging ranks?

A typical band director now has to go through a battery of testing and experience assignments to judge drum corps the "DCI Way" specifically because the instrumentation is different than most band programs.

Might A/I open up the judging qualification ranks to a greater pool of qualified judges?

And, if so, wouldn't that potentially save DCI money by being able to assign a greater pool of local judges instead of flying judges in for local shows?

Potentially, then, A/I could, in fact, be a money-saver and build the bench of available adjudication interpretations of the sheets.

Thoughts?

What is the “DCI way” regarding different instruments? IOW what is different in judging between DCI and the MB world that going AI would change anything.

have no idea so asking....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, garfield said:

Thoughts?

Sorry G.  Busy with the speech writer I hired to help me with my good bye D&BC speech in case WW are implemented this year.  If it starts next year, I'll get back to yeah.....maybe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Thoughts?

Well I think at least for the first year (2021), with the way the proposal is written they are saying that WW elements would be judged the same way that the Electronic Violin was judged in BD's show last year. It is a Musical Instrument being performed by a musician but it is treated the same way a voiceover is. Not judged on its musical or technical ability but how it effects/compliments the Visual or Musical presentation of the show.

Going forward the sheets have to carefully thought over, For the Music captions, will they reword the Field Brass Judge to be the Wind Judge? For their considerations to include the performance of the WW Ensemble as well as the Brass Ensemble. 

I think the Key point is that the Music judges be made clear that a corps should not be penalized if they don't present enough WoodWind Color in their presentation. As it is not specifically stated as a requirement on the sheets. Although from a GE Music standpoint the wide variety and contrast of musical ideas, emotion, and presentations is always thought of as a plus in that Caption.

So 100% DCI, through its Judging and steering committees will decide how much a corps is required to present and incorporate the WW's into their program.

We'll Find out if the true intent of this rule is to increase the Corps Size limit to 200+ or not by how much weight they put on the WW Color to their judging sheets.

Edited by Glenn426
  • Like 1

As for the Judging pool, If they DO put an onus on WW color then I think there will be an Influx of Music Ensemble and Music Individual judges that normally only see the BOA Ranks.

For the most part though the GE Judges (Both Music and Visual) seem to be present for both BOA GN and DCI Finals year after year. The top dogs will remain the Top Dogs. And I don't see the addition of WW changing this particular upper Echelon of the Judging pool.

That is not why judges are trained by DCI.  DCI is not using anything that band judges have not seen routinely in bands.

No, because the proposal in its current form stipulates that there will still be a "DCI Way" of judging.  For your idea to work, the proposal would have to stipulate that the "brass" caption become a "winds" caption, and that woodwinds be considered as much a staple of the idiom as it is in marching band.

Thoughts?

DCI could have done that, by itself, any time they chose.  Judges have been training and trialing all over the place, expanding the pool.  But DCI still flies a smaller subset of likely championship-panel judges all over the nation, all season, because that is what the member corps want.

• Haha 1

This clarifies something in my mind, though.

Previously, I made the mistake of saying that I might consider a permanent woodwinds-as-accessory-only policy.  I now see that the manipulations of woodwind proponents will never allow such a policy to stand.  So my mind is made up.  If the "Any Instrument Policy" proposal, currently a long-shot, were to somehow pass after all, then 2020 would be my farewell season for DCI support.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, cixelsyd said:

This clarifies something in my mind, though.

Previously, I made the mistake of saying that I might consider a permanent woodwinds-as-accessory-only policy.  I now see that the manipulations of woodwind proponents will never allow such a policy to stand.  So my mind is made up.  If the "Any Instrument Policy" proposal, currently a long-shot, were to somehow pass after all, then 2020 would be my farewell season for DCI support.

They don't care if you leave.  They will just replace you with all of those piccolo parents they are expecting.

• Like 5

Thoughts?

they want music judges with music degrees, so now you have brass people that should know woodwinds. conversly you add woodwinds and get woodwinds people, they need to know brass also unless you create a specfic sheet just for woodwinds.

A simple comment on WW judges from the Marching Band world.  Every year, we faced a judge at a specific competition.  We were guaranteed to hear the same comment every year, "I Can't hear the woodwinds"!  Even during a woodwind feature with no one else playing we received the same comments from this judge on the comments audio.  60-70 Brass reduced to 50-60 brass with a dozen WW will result in the same comments from "Woodwind" judges unless they're mic'd up. 

Mark my words, that is what will be coming.

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Haha 1