What's in a name? Now that the label "DCI" is irrelevant..

DCI is too big a brand name for it to change. Also, we’ve been hearing that drum corps is no longer drum corps Going back to the mid 80’s when front ensembles were introduced. We heard it in a big way when three valve instruments were allowed and when B-flat instruments replaced G bugles. Though introducing woodwinds would be a bigger change than the pit or adding trombones, I don’t think the powers that be will see any need for a name change. 

• Like 2

It will still be called DCI, rebranding would be horrible strategic decision. It will still be the cutting edge of the marching arts activity and will remain so. While HS marching band has become much better recently they still don't have the time or the maturity of performer to tackle what drum corps do every summer.

If this passes and you leave the activity then that is your choice but I would ask you to reconsider and give the new addition a chance to see how it impacts the activity. If this is the red-line for you that cannot be crossed then I say thanks for your years of support.

Edited by Spatzzz
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

Completely disagree.  There was a time DCI was cutting edge but IMHO MBA and WGI surpassed them some time ago.  When they quit being drum corps and tried to be marching bands and WGI light...that went away.  The only thing cutting edge are the sound systems...pass.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Completely disagree.  There was a time DCI was cutting edge but IMHO MBA and WGI surpassed them some time ago.  When they quit being drum corps and tried to be marching bands and WGI light...that went away.  The only thing cutting edge are the sound systems...pass.

This is utter non-sense. There is nothing of the scale and scope in the activity that compares to a full blown DCI production. Name a HS marching band with the level of sophistication and quality or performance as the top groups from finals last year. Don't get me wrong there are some very high qualty HS Marching Bands but they can't compete with groups whose average age is 20+. 

There is room in the marketplace for BOA, WGI and DCI to exist and flourish.

• Like 1

It was the adoption of the label of "marching arts" that lead us here.  The format is just catching up to the label.

The label was always dumb... As if drumcorps needed to be justified to some intellectual group out there.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

This is utter non-sense. There is nothing of the scale and scope in the activity that compares to a full blown DCI production. Name a HS marching band with the level of sophistication and quality or performance as the top groups from finals last year. Don't get me wrong there are some very high qualty HS Marching Bands but they can't compete with groups whose average age is 20+. 

There is room in the marketplace for BOA, WGI and DCI to exist and flourish.

Broken Arrow.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tim K said:

DCI is too big a brand name for it to change. Also, we’ve been hearing that drum corps is no longer drum corps Going back to the mid 80’s when front ensembles were introduced. We heard it in a big way when three valve instruments were allowed and when B-flat instruments replaced G bugles. Though introducing woodwinds would be a bigger change than the pit or adding trombones, I don’t think the powers that be will see any need for a name change. 

But adding the pit (percussion) and a third valve (brass) didn’t change the essence of drum & bugle corps.

• Like 1

Just now, WaxDCIFan said:

Broken Arrow.

They are very very good as are a number of other top HS ensembles. They are not at the same level of the top drum corps. HS kids cannot compete with a corps whose average age is 20+ it comes down to performer maturity and their directors would say the same.

• Like 1