What's in a name? Now that the label "DCI" is irrelevant..

2 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

If they expand membership to 200, then there might be dedicated woodwinds sections, but at current levels, WC would take a hit on overall sound by marching woodwinds.

Why? There's no limit to how loud they can PUMP UP THE VOLUME, PUMP UP THE VOLUME, PUMP UP THE VOLUME.

But the first 1000-watt-amped shattering clarinet squeak that shreds every toupee in the stadium happens in  3.........2..........1...........

• Haha 2

people said dci wasn't drum corps when a 3rd valve was legalized.  people said dci wasn't drum corps when Bb was legalized.  people said dci wasn't drum corps when it stopped being 100% acoustic.  

before all of the things that i just mentioned, there were lot of other changes that made people say "well now dci isn't drum corps anymore", i just didn't want to create a huge post to belabor the obvious point:  the arguments people make about dci no longer being drum corps after _____________ is legalized are nothing new. stop acting like they are. 

5 minutes ago, Lance said:

people said dci wasn't drum corps when a 3rd valve was legalized.  people said dci wasn't drum corps when Bb was legalized.  people said dci wasn't drum corps when it stopped being 100% acoustic.  

before all of the things that i just mentioned, there were lot of other changes that made people say "well now dci isn't drum corps anymore", i just didn't want to create a huge post to belabor the obvious point:  the arguments people make about dci no longer being drum corps after _____________ is legalized are nothing new. stop acting like they are. 

People should check out the dc of 50s and 60s fb page. For some It stopped being dc when they took away the kick off and closing lines at the ends of the fields. Not to mention the color presentation. 

by that reasoning it stopping being dc early 1970s..... years before 2 valves and the pit

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, drangin said:

Why? There's no limit to how loud they can PUMP UP THE VOLUME, PUMP UP THE VOLUME, PUMP UP THE VOLUME.

But the first 1000-watt-amped shattering clarinet squeak that shreds every toupee in the stadium happens in  3.........2..........1...........

Haven't we all paid attention to the other proposals this year? Limiting decibel output is also on the table.... (!!!!)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IMcomguy said:

Haven't we all paid attention to the other proposals this year? Limiting decibel output is also on the table.... (!!!!)

I like that one.  The doctor said at my annual physical last month that I have eustacian tube dysfunction. 

27 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

People should check out the dc of 50s and 60s fb page. For some It stopped being dc when they took away the kick off and closing lines at the ends of the fields. Not to mention the color presentation. 

by that reasoning it stopping being dc early 1970s..... years before 2 valves and the pit

If you can find old issues of “Drum Corps News” from 1978 where DCI East and CYO Nationals are covered, you’ll see comments about drum corps not bring drum corps anymore that sound like today. The culprits include old school darlings such as Bridgemen along with Blue Devils and PR that do not play “songs.”  Sadly, my copies got lost in a move, but drum corps not being drum corps anymore is as old as the hills.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

It will still be called DCI, rebranding would be horrible strategic decision.

So changing everything about the activity to make it just like marching band is great strategy, but changing the DCI name is not?

A name with greater "relevance" would open up "new revenue sources".  Evolve or die!

2 minutes ago, Tim K said:

If you can find old issues of “Drum Corps News” from 1978 where DCI East and CYO Nationals are covered, you’ll see comments about drum corps not bring drum corps anymore that sound like today. The culprits include old school darlings such as Bridgemen along with Blue Devils and PR that do not play “songs.”  Sadly, my copies got lost in a move, but drum corps not being drum corps anymore is as old as the hills.

Yep had DCN subscription then and remember the complaint letters about the “tink tink” marching bells. To be fair they were WAY overpowering on the DCA recordings. DCA tried for years to correct that but when the mics are near the 50 and drum lines did elevator drills....

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

So changing everything about the activity to make it just like marching band is great strategy, but changing the DCI name is not?

A name with greater "relevance" would open up "new revenue sources".  Evolve or die!

DCI has brand equity. You don't throw that away. What about Drum Corps International isn't relevant to the activity today and tomorrow if they add WW's? Are they getting rid of drums?