What's in a name? Now that the label "DCI" is irrelevant..

There are a number of units here in the UK who refer to themselves as “Performance Ensemble”  rather than D&BC

i still take issue with the I in DCI however given it is nigh on impossible to watch shows legally outside the US.....

• Like 3

On 1/11/2020 at 11:32 AM, Spatzzz said:

It will still be called DCI, rebranding would be horrible strategic decision. It will still be the cutting edge of the marching arts activity and will remain so. While HS marching band has become much better recently they still don't have the time or the maturity of performer to tackle what drum corps do every summer.

If this passes and you leave the activity then that is your choice but I would ask you to reconsider and give the new addition a chance to see how it impacts the activity. If this is the red-line for you that cannot be crossed then I say thanks for your years of support.

You are sadly mistaken in your sweeping statement about high school bands.  Not all, but there are numerous high school bands that can perform circles around many of the WC corps. But they are still high school bands, not drum and bugle corps. 

On 1/11/2020 at 1:44 PM, drangin said:

Why? There's no limit to how loud they can PUMP UP THE VOLUME, PUMP UP THE VOLUME, PUMP UP THE VOLUME.

But the first 1000-watt-amped shattering clarinet squeak that shreds every toupee in the stadium happens in  3.........2..........1...........

ROFLMAO,  can't help it but it really is a funny thought.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, EricS said:

You are sadly mistaken in your sweeping statement about high school bands.  Not all, but there are numerous high school bands that can perform circles around many of the WC corps. But they are still high school bands, not drum and bugle corps. 

In my opinion, having watched a lot of bands over the past six years (over a thousand performances live and at least five hundred more on video) and a lot of corps over the past eleven years (somewhere north of five hundred performances live and at least that many again on video), plus a further large number of both corps and bands live going back to the late 1980s and on video farther back still, it is unlikely that even if DCI's rules were changed to permit woodwinds and more than 154 members, any high school band would break 80 on DCI's sheets, and very few would break 75.

That is to say, I think there are at most four DCI World Class corps who might lose to a very few high school bands.

But I would welcome some attempts to compare bands and corps. Here's an example: as good as the 2019 BOA grand national champion Vandegrift was --and I thought they totally deserved that victory-- could they beat the 2019 runner-up in DCI's Open Class, Legends, who when stacked against World Class corps placed 21st and scored 78.4? I'm skeptical. Without re-watching both shows in detail right now, it seems to me that Legends' show was harder, requiring more of the members. (It was definitely longer. Vandegrift would be penalized in DCI for being under-time.) Though maybe Vandegrift could pass them in G.E.

13 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

I just didn't want to leave it there forever. Easily found online, but why make it super easy for bots that scrape forums?

i honestly didn't even click the link. i was just being a smart ###

• Like 1

5 hours ago, garfield said:

Why is this thread still alive?The event didn't happen, the premise is false.

No need to change the name.

probably to irritate you 😂

plus you've been here long enough, nothing ever dies

15 hours ago, garfield said:

Why is this thread still alive?The event didn't happen, the premise is false.

No need to change the name.

Just a slight pushback to Misters "Garfield" and Ream; while supporting "WaxDCIFan's" comments. Perhaps long-range thinking ought be applied to marketing the organization, just as you gentlemen, both long-time posters, followers, fans, and leaders often suggest. Neither DCI, nor Drum Corps International, encapsulate the activity today. While thought and consideration is being given to the continual remaking of the product itself, why not do the same thing -- finally -- to the public facing image?

They are already halfway there.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EricS said:

I don't really think it was a sweeping statement at all. HS marching bands have become very very good and I do agree that in terms of quality there is some overlap with the top of the HS marching band activity and DCI world class. However the top groups in DCI, and we can argue how far down that extends (top 6? 12? 17?) are quantitatively better than even the best HS bands. The designs are more sophisticated and intricate, the technique across all sections is at a higher level, more demanding and of a higher quality of performance and so forth. It comes down to performer maturity. 13-17 year olds who are in a band because they live in a specific district just cannot compete with 19-21 year olds that are hand picked out a large audition pool. That isn't a swipe or knock on HS marching band that is just cold hard reality.

On 1/11/2020 at 1:38 PM, Fred Windish said:

You might be surprised by the enduring value those walk-always represent. These are not the type fans who participate for the 4 years  their kids are involved, and then move on.  

Many of the walk-always will be “lifers” with money to spend. The ill effects of this move won’t be seen right away.

Please indulge as I send all of my Best Wishes to a dedicated, longtime fan and poster, xandandl, who is battling a serious illness. 

Great points, Fred!  I couldn't agree more.  Prayers for xandandl and family.