What's in a name? Now that the label "DCI" is irrelevant..

Huh. This didn't age well.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BranchHill said:

Just a slight pushback to Misters "Garfield" and Ream; while supporting "WaxDCIFan's" comments. Perhaps long-range thinking ought be applied to marketing the organization, just as you gentlemen, both long-time posters, followers, fans, and leaders often suggest. Neither DCI, nor Drum Corps International, encapsulate the activity today. While thought and consideration is being given to the continual remaking of the product itself, why not do the same thing -- finally -- to the public facing image?

They are already halfway there.

We need to examine why a name change would be a good idea. If it is meant to commemorate all that drum corps has become, that could be debated. If the name change is necessary because some believe drum corps is no longer drum corps because g bugles are no longer used, honor guards are no longer part of a show, amplification is a reality, props are overwhelming, costumes rather than uniforms are worn, or whatever change is disliked, then throwing away a recognized brand name is foolish. 

DCI will soon be fifty years old. My guess would be that in 2021 when the fiftieth title is awarded, it will be the beginning of a celebration that will conclude in 2022 when the fiftieth anniversary takes place. One of my favorite scenes from all the DVD’s and BluRays I own is the end of Garfield’s show in 1984. The young people who marched who are in my age range today, look totally exhausted and very proud. My guess is that Anaheim Kingsmen felt that way in 1972, Blue Devils probably felt that way last summer. The tradition of pride and excellence alone is enough for me to not change the name. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

In my opinion, having watched a lot of bands over the past six years (over a thousand performances live and at least five hundred more on video) and a lot of corps over the past eleven years (somewhere north of five hundred performances live and at least that many again on video), plus a further large number of both corps and bands live going back to the late 1980s and on video farther back still, it is unlikely that even if DCI's rules were changed to permit woodwinds and more than 154 members, any high school band would break 80 on DCI's sheets, and very few would break 75.

That is to say, I think there are at most four DCI World Class corps who might lose to a very few high school bands.

But I would welcome some attempts to compare bands and corps. Here's an example: as good as the 2019 BOA grand national champion Vandegrift was --and I thought they totally deserved that victory-- could they beat the 2019 runner-up in DCI's Open Class, Legends, who when stacked against World Class corps placed 21st and scored 78.4? I'm skeptical. Without re-watching both shows in detail right now, it seems to me that Legends' show was harder, requiring more of the members. (It was definitely longer. Vandegrift would be penalized in DCI for being under-time.) Though maybe Vandegrift could pass them in G.E.

Surprised I didn't get any pushback on this.

4 hours ago, Tim K said:

DCI will soon be fifty years old. My guess would be that in 2021 when the fiftieth title is awarded, it will be the beginning of a celebration that will conclude in 2022 when the fiftieth anniversary takes place. 

That will a PERFECT time for WW to be approved!!!   :dancin:

:giljotiini:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

That will a PERFECT time for WW to be approved!!!   :dancin:

:giljotiini:

We may have different opinions about the woodwind question, but if it has passed, 2021 would have been the perfect first year. Unless I win the lottery or publish the great American novel or find out I have a rich relative who died and left me a fortune, my sisters want a family trip to Ireland 🇮🇪 next summer, so most likely I will not be in Indy in 2021. I’ll be local shows only. So if it had been approved, I would have time to ease into it when I’m back in Indy in 2022!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

We may have different opinions about the woodwind question, but if it has passed, 2021 would have been the perfect first year. Unless I win the lottery or publish the great American novel or find out I have a rich relative who died and left me a fortune, my sisters want a family trip to Ireland 🇮🇪 next summer, so most likely I will not be in Indy in 2021. I’ll be local shows only. So if it had been approved, I would have time to ease into it when I’m back in Indy in 2022!

I love Ireland. We had a nice rather short trip there while visiting our daughter who lives in London.

14 hours ago, BranchHill said:

Just a slight pushback to Misters "Garfield" and Ream; while supporting "WaxDCIFan's" comments. Perhaps long-range thinking ought be applied to marketing the organization, just as you gentlemen, both long-time posters, followers, fans, and leaders often suggest. Neither DCI, nor Drum Corps International, encapsulate the activity today. While thought and consideration is being given to the continual remaking of the product itself, why not do the same thing -- finally -- to the public facing image?

They are already halfway there.

serious thought needs to be had, i've said it for over a decade. thanks for reading.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1