Did Carolina Gold get approved?

Not sure if this was posted here, but Carolina Gold decided to move to DCI Open Class from DCA. My understanding is, if approved, they would compete at Championships.

Did they (or anyone else) get approved? I can tie this to World Class as they would compete in WC Prelims. If nobody folds/goes inactive, they would make the 40th corps in 2020 World Class prelims.

Edited by wolfgang

40 minutes ago, wolfgang said:

Not sure if this was posted here, but Carolina Gold decided to move to DCI Open Class from DCA. My understanding is, if approved, they would compete at Championships.

Did they (or anyone else) get approved? I can tie this to World Class as they would compete in WC Prelims. If nobody folds/goes inactive, they would make the 40th corps in 2020 World Class prelims.

I don't believe that they're officially approved yet. 

Per the DCI Policy & Procedures Manual - part of the evaluation process would include an onsite visit by a DCI representative.  That onsite visit must occur during a corps rehearsal/camp for the upcoming season.  Since they're still a week away from their first audition camp of the season, that would mean that an onsite visit most likely wouldn't have happened yet.  In addition, the manual indicates that final results of the evaluation are typically delivered via phone conference in late April once all evaluations are processed/completed.

Also from the manual - Prior to evaluations being completed, corps can request show performance dates, but they won't actually be assigned show slots until the evaluation has been processed and approved.  So that's why they're being shown on the DCI schedule, but those dates would be tentative pending approval.

• They are not listed for DCI finals, or open class finals yet.  They are still listed with DCA, and they are not listed with DCI open class corps yet.  They signed up for the shows that they are listed in as an all age corps.

19 minutes ago, totaleefree said:
  • They are not listed for DCI finals, or open class finals yet.  They are still listed with DCA, and they are not listed with DCI open class corps yet.  They signed up for the shows that they are listed in as an all age corps.

CYA in case DCI falls thru in 2020? 

Much I hate to lose CG that would be a smart move...

And that is kind of wtf for a new corps. You have to get all your of the off field stuff together and get a corps together (camp/rehearsal) and THEN find out if you can field a corps in DCI. With a few months notice.... gotta be hard for recruiting. “well folks thank you all for showing up and working hard... change of plans... here’s your parade tunes”

can just hear my parents”wait... we’re spending money, you’re spending time with the corps and you DON’T know yet if you’ll be marching this summer? What else can you find to do?”. (Dang near what I heard when I first started as corps was trying to get back on the field)

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

CYA in case DCI falls thru in 2020? 

Much I hate to lose CG that would be a smart move...

And that is kind of wtf for a new corps. You have to get all your of the off field stuff together and get a corps together (camp/rehearsal) and THEN find out if you can field a corps in DCI. With a few months notice.... gotta be hard for recruiting. “well folks thank you all for showing up and working hard... change of plans... here’s your parade tunes”

can just hear my parents”wait... we’re spending money, you’re spending time with the corps and you DON’T know yet if you’ll be marching this summer? What else can you find to do?”. (Dang near what I heard when I first started as corps was trying to get back on the field)

The approval process does run much later into the spring than I was aware of until I starting diving into some of the policy and procedure stuff. 

I think the assumption is that a corps should have all of their ducks in a row and be in good communication with DCI prior to the evaluation process beginning, and then remain in good communication with DCI throughout the winter/early spring months as the evaluation is being conducted.  If they're going to fail the evaluation, it's likely going to be for a reason that they've already been made aware of and had an opportunity to correct.

• Thanks 1

I think their thinking is that they are approved by DCI for all age, so therefore they should not have to got through the entire application and evaluation process that is required for new corps attempting to join open class.  However DCI has been burned by corps going on tour and finding out that their finances are not in order midway through the tour. I can't imagine DCI approving a corps for open class without a thorough  financial review. Over the past 2 years at least 1 corps had to barrow money from the Blue Devils so that they could get home from finals. DCI does not want this to become a regular occurrence so they want to make sure everyone is in decent shape before they hit the road.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

They've been contacting high school band directors in the Carolinas to advertise auditions to their students. Hope nobody gets burned. I knew some kids who were in Coastal Surge in 2015. They paid their money, moved in with the corps and worked their tails off, and then had the rug pulled out from under them. None of the ones I knew ever even considered auditioning for another corps after that experience. 

On the positive side, at least Carolina Gold is an established organization with years of touring in DCA under their belts. So maybe it is a bit different than a group that has only been around for a year or two and done SoundSport. Still, DCI's diligence on making sure their finances are in order makes complete sense.

• Like 1