Did Carolina Gold get approved?

3 hours ago, Beckham said:

They've been contacting high school band directors in the Carolinas to advertise auditions to their students. Hope nobody gets burned. I knew some kids who were in Coastal Surge in 2015. They paid their money, moved in with the corps and worked their tails off, and then had the rug pulled out from under them. None of the ones I knew ever even considered auditioning for another corps after that experience. 

On the positive side, at least Carolina Gold is an established organization with years of touring in DCA under their belts. So maybe it is a bit different than a group that has only been around for a year or two and done SoundSport. Still, DCI's diligence on making sure their finances are in order makes complete sense.

Gold also was an all age member of DCI, so they had a leg up knowing some of what was coming

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Beckham said:

They've been contacting high school band directors in the Carolinas to advertise auditions to their students. Hope nobody gets burned. I knew some kids who were in Coastal Surge in 2015. They paid their money, moved in with the corps and worked their tails off, and then had the rug pulled out from under them. None of the ones I knew ever even considered auditioning for another corps after that experience. 

On the positive side, at least Carolina Gold is an established organization with years of touring in DCA under their belts. So maybe it is a bit different than a group that has only been around for a year or two and done SoundSport. Still, DCI's diligence on making sure their finances are in order makes complete sense.

Gold also has a history of folding. However, It seems their new leadership has been busting a$$ and they have grown by leaps and bounds. It would be really nice having a DCI corps in my neck of the woods. 

14 minutes ago, inbetween said:

Gold also has a history of folding. However, It seems their new leadership has been busting a$$ and they have grown by leaps and bounds. It would be really nice having a DCI corps in my neck of the woods. 

When did they fold?

Just now, CHRISP said:

When did they fold?

Folding may not be the best word. But they had to take a year off a few times to restructure. So a time out? I know for a while they had problems keeping a director. That was early 2000's ish.( I believe. medical issues caused me to lose a lot of memory from those years, and I'm not nearly motivated to look it up right now. Forgive me) However like I said, they seem to be headed in a good direction now. 

47 minutes ago, inbetween said:

Folding may not be the best word. But they had to take a year off a few times to restructure. So a time out? I know for a while they had problems keeping a director. That was early 2000's ish.( I believe. medical issues caused me to lose a lot of memory from those years, and I'm not nearly motivated to look it up right now. Forgive me) However like I said, they seem to be headed in a good direction now. 

Took time off (forget how long), did Mini and came back as Class A (smaller sized corps). Still put on a really good show. Just worked themselves back up in a patient manner.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Took time off (forget how long), did Mini and came back as Class A (smaller sized corps). Still put on a really good show. Just worked themselves back up in a patient manner.

I think it was 1 season only.  But you are correct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CHRISP said:

I think it was 1 season only.  But you are correct.

Thanks that was about the time I had to step away from doing and following corps. Had an ex-corpsmate in CG and would talk to some CG folks I knew before the Baltimore 4th of July parades. Great folks who seemed to have their head on straight 

• Like 1

They historically have pretty decent color guards too! 

1 minute ago, inbetween said:

They historically have pretty decent color guards too! 

Absolutely. Some years great guards. So hopefully that gives them a bit of a head start.

I think one year the corps finished something like 10th overall, but the guard was top 4 or 5.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, inbetween said:

Isn't there another "Carolina" corps in your neck of the woods?

🙂

• Haha 1