Did Carolina Gold get approved?

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

Isn't there another "Carolina" corps in your neck of the woods?

🙂

They are generally about 5-6 hours away. That doesn't stop me from making it out to spring training. CG would be about 45 minutes from me. 

3 hours ago, inbetween said:

Gold also has a history of folding. However, It seems their new leadership has been busting a$$ and they have grown by leaps and bounds. It would be really nice having a DCI corps in my neck of the woods. 

We should be careful to differentiate between "Carolina Gold" and "Gold" 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, inbetween said:

They are generally about 5-6 hours away. That doesn't stop me from making it out to spring training. CG would be about 45 minutes from me. 

Lol have in laws with Wake Forest mailing address. Too bad none of the younger ones are into the arts. Unless you count ringing of the cash register (one has a masters in accounting) 😜

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Has anybody yet commented on this video about Open Class?

In that video, I noticed there that David Eddleman says the minimum number of members for a new corps to be permitted in Open Class for the past two years has been 50 members. Does that mean that a pre-existing corps did NOT need to reach that minimum? And do they now? He doesn't say.

Then prompted by Dan Potter, who asks about the number 55, Eddleman says the Open Class corps voted in September to increase the number to 55, but then he seems to say it doesn't really matter ("we're splitting hairs ... approximately a busload").

Carolina Gold is discussed starting at about the 6:00 mark. Eddleman says that both Gold and Phenom from Arizona will complete their evaluation process in March.

Interesting that Eddleman expresses surprise that many DCA corps include a lot of younger members.

4 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

In that video, I noticed there that David Eddleman says the minimum number of members for a new corps to be permitted in Open Class for the past two years has been 50 members. Does that mean that a pre-existing corps did NOT need to reach that minimum? And do they now? He doesn't say.

Then prompted by Dan Potter, who asks about the number 55, Eddleman says the Open Class corps voted in September to increase the number to 55, but then he seems to say it doesn't really matter ("we're splitting hairs ... approximately a busload").

The wishy washy nature of his answer regarding the minimum membership numbers is interesting.  If you go back to the Encorps situation, one of the issues they raised was the lack of a clear answer on the minimum membership number.  The answer given in this video, even if unintentional, would seem to validate that the answer is somewhat unclear.  Sure... it might be splitting hairs... but for a group to move forward with unclear guidelines could potentially be a risky proposition on their part.

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Interesting that Eddleman expresses surprise that many DCA corps include a lot of younger members.

Old stereotypes die hard....

irony is I retire in a few weeks and joined a DCA corps when I was 16. Do the math to figure how long ago that was (46 years).....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Old stereotypes die hard....

irony is I retire in a few weeks and joined a DCA corps when I was 16. Do the math to figure how long ago that was (46 years).....

DCA seemingly gets younger every year. The top DCA corps, at least in the early 2k's when I marched, had the ability to recruit the younger crowd set and get them prepared to march in the drum corps arena. We had a large number of "30-somethings" in Corpsvets in the early 2k's. But when Marwede started to bring in a younger drumline, it seemed to spark something in the other captions. The whole Alliance thing also was interesting because they infused that corps with younger battery members and color guard from the WGI scene and came up VERY quickly. I'm sure there was a lot more recruiting going on behind the scenes at CV, but as an MM, I really didn't see the feet under the duck. By probably 2010, it was a different dynamic completely and look at CV now. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, rjohn76 said:

The wishy washy nature of his answer regarding the minimum membership numbers is interesting.  If you go back to the Encorps situation, one of the issues they raised was the lack of a clear answer on the minimum membership number.  The answer given in this video, even if unintentional, would seem to validate that the answer is somewhat unclear.  Sure... it might be splitting hairs... but for a group to move forward with unclear guidelines could potentially be a risky proposition on their part.

i found that odd too

On 1/25/2020 at 8:34 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Carolina Gold is discussed starting at about the 6:00 mark. Eddleman says that both Gold and Phenom from Arizona will complete their evaluation process in March.

let's be honest.....DCA isn't something a lot of people in DCI pay attention to, and with DCA being mostly in the northeast with little pockets scattered around the south and midwest, i doubt it's n their radar