Thank You Directors

42 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I would only thank those who voted it down.  Anyone got the vote results yet?

I thank all of the directors for making the decision they thought best for their corps and DCI. It is not what I hoped, but they have the responsibility to make the call they think appropriate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

I would only thank those who voted it down.  Anyone got the vote results yet?

The great thing about not knowing is that you have a reason to write to each and everyone with a note of thanks. If enough people write to the directors who voted *for* woodwinds, maybe those directors will have second thoughts next time.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

I thank all of the directors for making the decision they thought best for their corps and DCI. It is not what I hoped, but they have the responsibility to make the call they think appropriate.

See! if you're anti-woodwind, you have to thank them all so you can offset MikeD!

• Haha 1

Which corps proposed the rule change for allowing any instrumentation (woodwinds) in the first place?

5 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The great thing about not knowing is that you have a reason to write to each and everyone with a note of thanks. If enough people write to the directors who voted *for* woodwinds, maybe those directors will have second thoughts next time.

Best way to thank the directors is to make a donation to your favorite corps.   Money talks.

Having a couple days to think about it, I am actually not all that surprised by the final directors' vote on this.  I have probably a couple hundred FB friends who are currently marching or have aged out very recently...in the past 2 or 3 years.  While I haven't engaged in any of the discussions online, I have read a lot...particularly this past week.  Surprisingly, there seemed to be a consensus (at least among these members) that there is no need to add woodwinds to DCI.  As one mellophone player out it, "that's what we have college band for." 

Something I hadn't thought of but was being discussed by the members:  there was a time when DCI attracted woodwind players who switched to brass for the summer. Now however, the competition to get a spot is so fierce that we are seeing almost exclusively brass players auditioning.  It seems as though the brass players and drummers are fine just the way it is.

The feeling seems to be that woodwind and string instrument players have their opportunities through collegiate wind ensembles and the like.

While there still could be a change in the future, at least it looks like the directors bought us some more time.

• Like 4

I am beginning to see this moment as a sea change in the way active DCI managers view themself. At least, I’m hopeful !

” Guess we really do have something of special value here !  Rather than remake it into something else, let’s do more to better promote what we have to offer now. “

💁‍♂️

Who Knew?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dcifanforlife said:

Best way to thank the directors is to make a donation to your favorite corps.   Money talks.

But you have to include a note with your money explaining what specifically you support, or they'll assume you endorse them without reservations.