Netflix "Cheer!" is what "Clash of the Corps" Should Have Been

All - 

Many of us (not too fondly) remember the one-season, short-lived series on "Fuse TV" called "Clash of the Corps"

Clash of the Corps followed the 2016 Blue Devils & 2016 Cadets on their tour to the DCI World Championships

The series felt very flat to most of us - did a terrible job opening up our activity to a broader audience by making the viewers care about the participants or understand WHAT drum corps was about

Instead we got corny slow-motion video set to bizzarre music

So - it was with trepidation that I checked out Netflix new series "Cheer!"

It's an activity I have no personal connection with or big interest in

I did know going into it that (like drum corps) the highest level cheer teams were highly competitive

The show is everything "Clash" was not

It's full of life, really digs into back-stories on the members. You end up walking away from the series "getting" why the activity is so valuable and important to its members

Drum corps fans would get it - so I recommend checking it out

Perhaps someday a more talented production team will take another stab at "Drum Corps!"

https://www.tvguide.com/news/6-reasons-cheer-is-the-first-must-see-show-of-2020/

https://www.netflix.com/title/81039393

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I won't probably watch this show but I have a great respect for their activity...SAFETY is an issue in their activity as it is in DCI..They've eliminated moves deemed too risky for the performers because of injuries..DCI, with the prop revolution/evolution would do well to also consider "how much is too much?'...IMHO..peace

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe the idea of drum corps as a reality show can be done but more like Live PD! Follow several corps and certain members and staff. Show the creative stage....how they build the show, teach, rehearse, etc then add the touring. Feature different levels of corps.....World Class, Open Class and All-Age

I am 100% convinced (not 99%) that COTC was the beginning of the end for G. Hopkins. The Cadet organization was utterly embarrassing. How much more interesting would Bloo vs Blue been?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tad_MMA said:

I am 100% convinced (not 99%) that COTC was the beginning of the end for G. Hopkins. The Cadet organization was utterly embarrassing. How much more interesting would Bloo vs Blue been?

I was embarrassed watching.  I know what young folks do on their free time (I was one once)  but I really didn’t need details. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

Brrr, it's cold in here.

it's something. "Snarky" might be a good word

in the finale of this Cheer series, which I saw last night - the producers were not allowed to film the championship in Daytona - the activity is covered by a streaming service pay-per-view and all the families that couldn't make the championships were back home logging in on their phones/computers. The streaming service "Varsity" is akin to our "FloMarching" service - while the cheer circuit (akin to DCI) also heavily controlled the activities message. Neither seemed particularly pleased with this netflix series

the other main message of the finale was "what's next" for the performers as this was the end of the road - there is no professional next step (other than to become a tech/instructor. It all sounded very familiar 

highly recommend for anyone interested. If you're not - that's fine. But the parallels with Drum Corps are stark and illustrative

carry on!

• Like 3

There are so many more streaming outlets now with NetFlix, Amazon, Disney, Apple that there has to be a market for this type of in depth show.

They recently did this type of show with F1, Drive to Survive. It really gave fans a BTS view and interviews and access to fans that is just not available in normal scenarios. It came out After the season so the interviews are candid and really get to the heart of the sport. It didn't focus on competition but to tell the individuals stories BTS the happen through the year.

Netflix notoriously throws money at anything in their search for content that their Billions of viewers want to watch. Watching Cheer will lead Netflix to discover that there is a demo that is interested in the backstories alternate sports organizations in the US.

I just hope that FLO doesn't hold the exclusive rights to anything DCI. Such a type of deal would prevent this side BTS project from taking off the ground. 

Edited by Glenn426
  • Like 1