Netflix "Cheer!" is what "Clash of the Corps" Should Have Been

2 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

If it isn't on History, Discovery, Smithsonian or PBS, it's going to be "out of the norm" LOL. Then I'll have to go down to the shop and make her something fancy to get her to stop looking cross eyed at me. You gotta understand...she's 29 and used to be a cheerleader. 

Oh, so you're the recipient of her vitriolic anger-filled rage of ageist jealousy!  Got it!

(/s)

You love your wife.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

You guys are gonna end up making me watch this out of curiosity and then Britt is gonna give me "The Look."

Nope, not going to do it.  I'd rather watch plane-spotting airliners landing.

I have all the info I need to know how to place it in my list of priorities and, from what I gather here, by the time I get to it they'll be in re-runs a couple of seasons from now.

10 minutes ago, garfield said:

Oh, so you're the recipient of her vitriolic anger-filled rage of ageist jealousy!  Got it!

(/s)

You love your wife.

Sometimes truer than I like to admit LOL. And I do indeed love her to death. 

9 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

You guys are gonna end up making me watch this out of curiosity and then Britt is gonna give me "The Look."

Consider yerself peer-pressured.  😄   

Seriously, though, it's worth it.  The fact that it's the lower tier gives it a really cool... I dunno... scrappiness and realness to it.  

On 1/25/2020 at 4:50 PM, TwoValves said:

I'll say it again:  a for profit cannot buy a not profit.  

http://www.nonprofitlawblog.com/can-a-nonprofit-own-a-for-profit-can-a-for-profit-own-a-nonprofit/

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I think this article makes clearer whether or not a for-profit can operate and NP, and whether a NP can OWN a for-profit.  Those are both significantly different than the claim that a non-profit can be "sold" to a for-profit for operation under a NP division.  Because a NP has no owners to enrich by a successful sale, all proceeds from a "transfer of control" go to the benefit of the first NP's mission before it is shut down.  The second NP can't "buy" the name and mission of the first, but it can buy the assets and any proceeds MAY go to the "private benefit" of an individual paid by the first org, but proceeds of a successful winding-down sale of assets cannot go to inure (unreasonably benefit) any single person or connected entity.  The actual NP entity cannot be "sold" because it is and has nothing but a label if it has not assets, function, or governance.  It simply ceases to exist.

As is always the case, never believe anything on the internet and seek counsel with professional advisors before acting on anything you read there.

17 hours ago, garfield said:

I think this article makes clearer whether or not a for-profit can operate and NP, and whether a NP can OWN a for-profit.  Those are both significantly different than the claim that a non-profit can be "sold" to a for-profit for operation under a NP division.  Because a NP has no owners to enrich by a successful sale, all proceeds from a "transfer of control" go to the benefit of the first NP's mission before it is shut down.  The second NP can't "buy" the name and mission of the first, but it can buy the assets and any proceeds MAY go to the "private benefit" of an individual paid by the first org, but proceeds of a successful winding-down sale of assets cannot go to inure (unreasonably benefit) any single person or connected entity.  The actual NP entity cannot be "sold" because it is and has nothing but a label if it has not assets, function, or governance.  It simply ceases to exist.

As is always the case, never believe anything on the internet and seek counsel with professional advisors before acting on anything you read there.

Here's where that is not actually true: 

But control of the nonprofit by a for-profit also raises some problems. Perhaps the most serious problem is the possibility of the nonprofit being operated for the interests of the for-profit rather than for the broader public’s interests. The greater the control that the for-profit may exercise over the nonprofit, the more scrutiny the nonprofit may receive regarding prohibited private benefit transactions benefiting the for-profit or any owners, board members, or employees of the for-profit.

In other words, even IF Varsity was able to gain control of the YEA/USB Board and begin running it, any revenue generated by them could NOT go to Varsity under any (legal) circumstance.  What would be the purpose of trying to extract USBands if they could never make money from it?  Unless they just wanted to spend Varsity money on it to be able to exploit the Varsity name with the operations of USB.  When USB made more than they spent, the excess was given to Cadets or other YEA programs.  It could not be given to Varsity. 

5 hours ago, TwoValves said:

Here's where that is not actually true: 

But control of the nonprofit by a for-profit also raises some problems. Perhaps the most serious problem is the possibility of the nonprofit being operated for the interests of the for-profit rather than for the broader public’s interests. The greater the control that the for-profit may exercise over the nonprofit, the more scrutiny the nonprofit may receive regarding prohibited private benefit transactions benefiting the for-profit or any owners, board members, or employees of the for-profit.

In other words, even IF Varsity was able to gain control of the YEA/USB Board and begin running it, any revenue generated by them could NOT go to Varsity under any (legal) circumstance.  What would be the purpose of trying to extract USBands if they could never make money from it?  Unless they just wanted to spend Varsity money on it to be able to exploit the Varsity name with the operations of USB.  When USB made more than they spent, the excess was given to Cadets or other YEA programs.  It could not be given to Varsity. 

Could Varsity make money by YEA and/or its pieces continuing to exist? Not talking about what money YEA would create on its own but outside of it. Off top of my head using the corps (that it now owns) as publicity. Or to the extreme if a corps disbanding would hurt the for profit (best customer perhaps) could the for profit take over to protect itself? 

Edited by JimF-LowBari