Sign in to follow this  
George Dixon

Netflix "Cheer!" is what "Clash of the Corps" Should Have Been

Recommended Posts

On 1/14/2020 at 2:21 PM, kdaddy said:

I didn't see the show - how was it embarrassing? 

Cadets (Hopkins) admitted openly that the idea of the show (it HAD changed names pre-season) was unclear and fuzzy.  He made it sound like they had no idea what they were doing -- and that certainly reflected in the members all season. They didn't look or sound like a 10-time champion. The drama (TV execs loved this crap) with their Guard Sgt having personal issues and leaving the corps for a while was really bad. Is GH Hopkins still dating that disaster of a guard caption head? (Yes, I'd say it to her face.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tad_MMA said:

Cadets (Hopkins) admitted openly that the idea of the show (it HAD changed names pre-season) was unclear and fuzzy.  He made it sound like they had no idea what they were doing -- and that certainly reflected in the members all season. They didn't look or sound like a 10-time champion. The drama (TV execs loved this crap) with their Guard Sgt having personal issues and leaving the corps for a while was really bad. Is GH Hopkins still dating that disaster of a guard caption head? (Yes, I'd say it to her face.)

I was wincing when they asked the members to describe the show themes .  BD members were on point and those poor Cadets kids had no idea how to describe it.  I wouldn’t have either. 
 

The show theme was first “Stoned”. Then it was “Awakening” . 
Then it was “Statue Awakening”.  Then it was “Awakening” again. 
I thought about getting stoned and having someone awaken me when it was over. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I was wincing when they asked the members to describe the show themes .  BD members were on point and those poor Cadets kids had no idea how to describe it.  I wouldn’t have either. 
 

The show theme was first “Stoned”. Then it was “Awakening” . 
Then it was “Statue Awakening”.  Then it was “Awakening” again. 
I thought about getting stoned and having someone awaken me when it was over. 

don't forger birthday cake and spray paint

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

don't forger birthday cake and spray paint

Cakezilla and cupcake. Jim moved those on and off the field for a couple of shows and he said he wouldn’t have stood on them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2020 at 3:35 PM, Jeff Ream said:

yeah i think there'd be a split

Split or no.  There is no legal way for a For-profit company to "buy" a Non-profit one.  The IRS is pretty clear about it.  Whether its Cadets or some version of YEA it is still a NPO.  I'm very curious about how Varsity would find to work around the laws here.  In my own experiences, there are lots of business lawyers who believe they know what can be done, but there are few with expertise in non-profit law nuances.  One of my own NPOs had a lawyer tell us with great zeal that something we were doing was "absolutely not possible. "  So we hired a NPO specialist lawyer who did what we needed and showed us that the other attorney had no clue what they were saying.

Mainly, I'm wondering if they could be running into this plan only to hit a legal brick wall that throws the whole mess into chaos.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheer Is Built on a Pyramid of Broken Bodies

“The series tells one of the oldest, darkest stories in American sports—of athletes with no pay and little support breaking their bodies again and again, all for the greater glory of an authority figure they dare not question. ...  [the] coach’s abuse of power is reimagined as an act of charity toward .... her young charges—a deterrent from being slothful or playful or feeling too much unearned joy. In the broken values system ... we should all be so lucky as to be pressed toward physical agony until we’re sobbing on the floor in front of television cameras."

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Cheer Is Built on a Pyramid of Broken Bodies

“The series tells one of the oldest, darkest stories in American sports—of athletes with no pay and little support breaking their bodies again and again, all for the greater glory of an authority figure they dare not question. ...  [the] coach’s abuse of power is reimagined as an act of charity toward .... her young charges—a deterrent from being slothful or playful or feeling too much unearned joy. In the broken values system ... we should all be so lucky as to be pressed toward physical agony until we’re sobbing on the floor in front of television cameras."

Just read the article and “65% of catastrophic injuries to female athletes are caused by cheerleading 1982-2009”. $1 to Fran Haring and “if it bleeds it leads”.
 

Reminds me of a friend whose daughter had to drop out of a WC corps because of a medical problem. Later I saw two other corps members post that the young lady left because “she wasn’t (corps name) material”. No idea if corps management BSed the reason for the person dropping out or having a medical condition makes you not .... material.

 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
Forgot numbers from article...
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2020 at 6:54 AM, George Dixon said:

it's something. "Snarky" might be a good word

in the finale of this Cheer series, which I saw last night - the producers were not allowed to film the championship in Daytona - the activity is covered by a streaming service pay-per-view and all the families that couldn't make the championships were back home logging in on their phones/computers. The streaming service "Varsity" is akin to our "FloMarching" service - while the cheer circuit (akin to DCI) also heavily controlled the activities message. Neither seemed particularly pleased with this netflix series

the other main message of the finale was "what's next" for the performers as this was the end of the road - there is no professional next step (other than to become a tech/instructor. It all sounded very familiar 

highly recommend for anyone interested. If you're not - that's fine. But the parallels with Drum Corps are stark and illustrative

carry on!

 

I just started the finale of Cheer. I didn’t want to like it, but it is very compelling television and, as mentioned, the parallels to the drum corps experience are ever present.

 

I don’t know if a similar production would work as well with a corps with 150 members. And not being able to utilize performances of the music because of copyright issues is pretty problematic.

 

”Cheer” is worth a watch. Those kids are very inspirational.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Scooter Pirtle said:

I just started the finale of Cheer. I didn’t want to like it, but it is very compelling television and, as mentioned, the parallels to the drum corps experience are ever present.

I don’t know if a similar production would work as well with a corps with 150 members. And not being able to utilize performances of the music because of copyright issues is pretty problematic.

”Cheer” is worth a watch. Those kids are very inspirational.

Felt the same way going into it - wasn't expecting to love it but the ever-present parallels really kept me highly engaged. The final episode is incredible. Just announced it's been a massive streaming hit and season 2 is on the way. The cheer kids were just on Ellen (avail on YouTube to check out)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.