Netflix "Cheer!" is what "Clash of the Corps" Should Have Been

17 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Cheer Is Built on a Pyramid of Broken Bodies

“The series tells one of the oldest, darkest stories in American sports—of athletes with no pay and little support breaking their bodies again and again, all for the greater glory of an authority figure they dare not question. ...  [the] coach’s abuse of power is reimagined as an act of charity toward .... her young charges—a deterrent from being slothful or playful or feeling too much unearned joy. In the broken values system ... we should all be so lucky as to be pressed toward physical agony until we’re sobbing on the floor in front of television cameras."

wow - that's really a dark view of things. I guess for some the glass will always be half empty. 

I used to cheer in high school and a bit in college and I also love reality television. However, I couldn't even get through one episode. I even tried on three separate occasions to finish the first episode but just couldn't. 

Also, you mean to tell me that these are college students?! They all speak English at a third-grade level and make numerous ignorant statements. 

On 1/16/2020 at 5:15 PM, George Dixon said:

I (personally) would expect "Varsity" to end up with the drum corps video biz / licenses within five years

As others have mentioned I know they are interested in USB (and/or BOA) to get a foot in the door

Which one sells to them first is anyone's guess - but Varsity is a BILLION dollar annual biz... yes, with a B

Flo uses DCI to burnish its image with long-term contracts, then sells itself to Varsity.  Yep, I can see that.

The question is:  What IS drum corps video streaming business actually worth?

For that matter, what is DCI actually worth?

Varsity should just buy DCI.

11 hours ago, Lance said:

Which means they're in the 99th percentile. 

I wish I were exaggerating, but I teach English to teenagers. 

Eventually, many of them wind up in the world of call centers. I actually have to go to engrish.com now just to be surprised. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, garfield said:

Flo uses DCI to burnish its image with long-term contracts, then sells itself to Varsity.  Yep, I can see that.

The question is:  What IS drum corps video streaming business actually worth?

For that matter, what is DCI actually worth?

Varsity should just buy DCI.

I'll say it again:  a for profit cannot buy a not profit.  

1 hour ago, TwoValves said:

I'll say it again:  a for profit cannot buy a not profit.  

And I'll say it again, too:  You don't understand the "cannot" you profess is in cement.  (Hint: "Non Profits" can have LOTS of financial and real assets that have real financial value.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, garfield said:

And I'll say it again, too:  You don't understand the "cannot" you profess is in cement.  (Hint: "Non Profits" can have LOTS of financial and real assets that have real financial value.)

But those assets cannot be sold to a for-profit entity.  It's basic tax law. They can only be transferred to another non profit if the original NP Corp dissolved. This is very common knowledge in the sector.

This law is based on the idea that public donations were given to the NPO with the understanding they were to support the mission that the NP status was granted for.  To then sell any assets purchaed with those fund for the inurement (enrichment) of a person or entity (a for profit corporation is enriching its owners in this case) is deemed illegal.

Edited by TwoValves

"Also, a nonprofit cannot be sold.  Again, without an ownership mechanism, it simply isn’t possible.  If a charitable nonprofit winds down operations, the board of directors must distribute all of the nonprofit’s assets to another 501(c)(3) after all debts have been settled.  Some other non-charitable nonprofit types, like 501(c)(7) social clubs, distribute residual assets proportionately to the existing membership."

https://www.501c3.org/who-really-owns-a-nonprofit/