Mic limit proposal - what happened?

Sorry if I missed this, but I didn't see anything in DCI's recap about this proposal...was it not even voted on?

and you can't enforce hat stuff from the field as a chief judge

8 hours ago, Slingerland said:

My understanding is that it was withdrawn during caucuses, when it became clear that the sound guys would just find work-arounds that might make the situation even more imbalanced than it is.

So they know it's a problem and they don't want to fix it?

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

So they know it's a problem and they don't want to fix it?

how do you enforce it? have a jude trained in all things electronics standing by the synth/pad trigger/lap top people watching every button they push and others watvhing the anywhere up to 3 people runnig ipads/laptops in the stands...oh and the guy on the board on the field?

as a chief judge in indoor for percussion my biggest frustration with the one sound one stroke rule is the way they set stuff up, to actually see what the kids are doing, you often interfere with the performance on the field 

21 hours ago, Slingerland said:

My understanding is that it was withdrawn during caucuses, when it became clear that the sound guys would just find work-arounds that might make the situation even more imbalanced than it is.

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

how do you enforce it? have a jude trained in all things electronics standing by the synth/pad trigger/lap top people watching every button they push and others watvhing the anywhere up to 3 people runnig ipads/laptops in the stands...oh and the guy on the board on the field?

as a chief judge in indoor for percussion my biggest frustration with the one sound one stroke rule is the way they set stuff up, to actually see what the kids are doing, you often interfere with the performance on the field 

wait WHAT?  There's no reason to amplify the full ensemble and shotgun mics are pretty easy to see!  

This sounds like someone's shoveling some very deep manure!  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Did not know the highlighted part...Up to 3 obviously isn't enough, given the number of times MANY corps can't get the sound right... 🙄

They could, you know, NOT permit these "in the stands" folks to make any "on the go" adjustments - use one of their set up minutes to do a sound check then shut them down.  While we're at it (and this argument has been made by several on here), during the show, an "of marching age" member should be the one running the field board...

Also an advocate of disallowing shotgun mics and large-scale individual micing (no, don't have a top limit in mind)...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1