Mic limit proposal - what happened?

3 minutes ago, Lance said:

i'm 43, and have always thought of myself as gen x/y because Xennial sounds stupid. 

we're an interesting group because we had roughly equal amounts of our life with and without the internet.  i was part of the last class at my school that learned to type on an actual typewriter, too. that was my senior year of high school when not everybody even needed to know how to type because again, no internet.   

also, i like loud acoustic brass, but i don't like mic'd up amp cheese. okay boomer.  

I don’t get mad about ok boomer. I just chuckle.  😝

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m a boomer.  I’m 62.  

Which Generation are You?

Generation Name Births
Start
Births
End
Youngest
Age Today*
Oldest Age
Today*
The Lost Generation
The Generation of 1914
1890 1915 105 130
The Interbellum Generation 1901 1913 107 119
The Greatest Generation 1910 1924 96 110
The Silent Generation 1925 1945 75 95
Baby Boomer Generation 1946 1964 56 74
Generation X (Baby Bust) 1965 1979 41 55
Xennials 1975 1985 35 45
Millennials
Generation Y, Gen Next
1980 1994 26 40
iGen / Gen Z 1995 2012 8  25
Gen Alpha 2013 2025 1 7

Boomer here, along with my older brothers and sister... and nieces, nephews, great-nieces and great-nephews scattered throughout Gen X to Gen Alpha.

My mom and a good chunk of the Irish side of our family grew up in Bayonne, NJ. Generation Bayonne was another story altogether. :tongue:

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, drangin said:

Natural acoustic sound is fine. Amplification with its unnatural, distorted sound and is what destroys hearing. I've always felt that drum corps contests should be about wind and muscle, not electrons. Don't we get enough electrons from everything else? The loss of bugles was a shame, but the irresponsible decibel arms race is just unhealthy.

Unless, of course, the natural acoustic sound is indoors and manages to overpower the indoor acoustics themselves.  Drums are especially bad, since their sound is omni-directional.  Bugles and drums are for outdoors.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Lance said:

how is there irony in people reminiscing about loud acoustic brass, but not wanting "wergleoooooooozzzzzzzhrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmm" blasted through a mic at the same or greater volume?

i think that shows a lack of understanding of the word "irony".  

is this one of those things like tweens calling anybody of any age over 20 who doesn't agree with them "boomer" even though boomers are in their 70s, or constantly using "literally" to mean "figuratively"?  

what's the world coming to, lol?

Or either to mean both, as in "either sides" to mean "both sides"

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m a boomer.  I’m 62.  

Which Generation are You?

Generation Name Births
Start
Births
End
Youngest
Age Today*
Oldest Age
Today*
The Lost Generation
The Generation of 1914
1890 1915 105 130
The Interbellum Generation 1901 1913 107 119
The Greatest Generation 1910 1924 96 110
The Silent Generation 1925 1945 75 95
Baby Boomer Generation 1946 1964 56 74
Generation X (Baby Bust) 1965 1979 41 55
Xennials 1975 1985 35 45
Millennials
Generation Y, Gen Next
1980 1994 26 40
iGen / Gen Z 1995 2012 8  25
Gen Alpha 2013 2025 1 7

It's interesting that the chart shows the "Greatest Generation", a term I have always understood to mean the generation who fought in WWII, ending with those born in 1924. That means that lots of WWII vets born in 1925-1927 (the latter being 18 years old in 1945) are considered to be members of the next cohort.

One WWII vet of note died yesterday at the age of 95: Christopher Tolkien, son of the famous author, and editor/publisher of a host of his father's posthumous works (most famously The Silmarillion in 1977).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

It's interesting that the chart shows the "Greatest Generation", a term I have always understood to mean the generation who fought in WWII, ending with those born in 1924. That means that lots of WWII vets born in 1925-1927 (the latter being 18 years old in 1945) are considered to be members of the next cohort.

One WWII vet of note died yesterday at the age of 95: Christopher Tolkien, son of the famous author, and editor/publisher of a host of his father's posthumous works (most famously The Silmarillion in 1977).

Good point.  Jim’s dad served in both the Pacific and Europe in WWII and he was born in 1927.  

22 hours ago, karuna said:

Crown will be more than happy to return to acoustic brass lines.  They need no help with volume or tone quality.   (Note sure where I said anything about Crown but w/e).   

And this fantasy that “sound reinforcement” is required for 80 brass instruments is amusing but so ridiculous on its face that I can’t believe otherwise sane persons continue to post it. 

This is entirely about “we are broadway performance ensembles on a field”.   So long as everyone tells themselves this we’ll all eventually believe it, right?  :doh:

If they’re so happy to do so, just do it 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

If they’re so happy to do so, just do it 

Gotta play the game within rules that exist.  That's why so many folks were pleased to see Chris Martin's proposal.  It addressed the most egregious amplification problem.

Edited by karuna

2 hours ago, karuna said:

Gotta play the game within rules that exist.  That's why so many folks were pleased to see Chris Martin's proposal.  It addressed the most egregious amplification problem.

not enough were happy to pass it

On 1/16/2020 at 10:50 AM, Glenn426 said:

Imagine Crown Gabriel's Oboe solo/ solis without proper amplification, Only the people crowding the Front sideline would have heard the delicate nature of much of that solo.

Ironic, since you're getting clubbed over the head with thousands of watts of amplification with that delicate solo. You're not hearing the delicate tones of a musical instrument, you're hearing speaker cones flapping.