Mic limit proposal - what happened?

1 hour ago, karuna said:

if you can't play FFF with good tone quality,  you shouldn't be faking it with amplification.  

Well just remember DCI helps to train young musicians... sarcasm off....

14 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well just remember DCI helps to train young musicians... sarcasm off....

Find me a professional musician (brass player) that plays acoustically to large crowds and I'll show you a broke musician.

It's simply a part of the idiom now, Volume and projection have an impact on Sound Equality and the complexity of the material allowed to be solo material.

Imagine Crown Gabriel's Oboe solo/ solis without proper amplification, Only the people crowding the Front sideline would have heard the delicate nature of much of that solo.

Same with the Soloist in Bluecoats show last year, (namely in "Come Together") Had that soloist had to Project to reach the Music judges in the Box he would have had a helluva time trying to get the same quality that he achieved.

Also with Sound Reinforcement, Everyone in the audience could hear the detail, not just the people in the line of fire of the physical bell. 

Live quality playing is the name of the game now, There is little that would convince the corps of putting that sand back in the bottle now.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, karuna said:

non-responsive.  shotgun mics are only there to capture the full ensemble.  70-80 brass players need no amplification.  if you remove them there's no need to worry about whether they're turned on or not.  

if you can't play FFF with good tone quality,  you shouldn't be faking it with amplification.  

as i have posted many times,  just eliminate wireless mics entirely.  limit mic placement to "in front of the front-sideline".   you can still amplify small ensembles and soloists.  you will have far better sound quality at a lower cost (wired is much better sound).  and most of the "tech issues"  evaporate because corps just won't care about the  crowded wireless environment in which they're performing. 

i'm not in favor of them. i'm telling you the reality of how it works. don't believe me listen to Crown last year and notice the huge volume changes in spots...it aint all brass dynamics

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

And it screwed up the one year. JMO 

no, 8 crappy 16th notes did

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Find me a professional musician (brass player) that plays acoustically to large crowds and I'll show you a broke musician.

It's simply a part of the idiom now, Volume and projection have an impact on Sound Equality and the complexity of the material allowed to be solo material.

Imagine Crown Gabriel's Oboe solo/ solis without proper amplification, Only the people crowding the Front sideline would have heard the delicate nature of much of that solo.

Same with the Soloist in Bluecoats show last year, (namely in "Come Together") Had that soloist had to Project to reach the Music judges in the Box he would have had a helluva time trying to get the same quality that he achieved.

Also with Sound Reinforcement, Everyone in the audience could hear the detail, not just the people in the line of fire of the physical bell. 

Live quality playing is the name of the game now, There is little that would convince the corps of putting that sand back in the bottle now.

I was responding to mic’ing large sections of the corps to be clear....

30 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I was responding to mic’ing large sections of the corps to be clear....

In this regard then, While I was at Boston Buffalo Ensemble Rehearsal this past August, They were working a section of the ballad where the Mellos where on side 1 and had a soft melodic line that required delicate playing and soft smooth dynamic transitions.

Some of the players started to have blend issues and where sacrificing sonority to get the proper shape. The Box told them to make sure they had their horns pointed at the MIC on the Front Sideline and just play within the Section. Then Off Mic a comment was made to the Sound board to increase the volume off of that mic by two clicks. The next rep, the sound was smooth, emotive and what was intended. Even sitting there at the box right next to the caption heads, you could not ever tell that the sound was not just coming from the Mellos' Left Side but also from the Side 1 Speakers if they didn't point that out.

I think many of the issues that arise from the noticeable change from True acoustic to amplified-assisted is the fact that FLO chooses to plant their mics right on the Speakers themselves. And thus the change at the Speaker level is obvious when you're sitting at home watching the Mix that FLO chooses to transmit.

I think if FLO changed their standard MIC positions to being halfway up the stands for all shows, you'll see that the corps balance the speakers for the live paying audience, not the people listening to an unchecked balance broadcast by FLO and their incompetence. 

Edited by Glenn426
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info. Plan to be using FLO a lot more in my retirement so will try to remember what you posted

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

no, 8 crappy 16th notes did

Hmmm thinking about SCV?  Help me out here.