Mic limit proposal - what happened?

Lol thinking of entire corps loud passages then and what might be in the future...

then: wow the corps is really cranking it out 

future: wow that a good sets of amps, are they ever loud

On 1/14/2020 at 3:55 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

So they know it's a problem and they don't want to fix it?

how about eliminate it????????

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2020 at 10:50 AM, JimF-LowBari said:

Lol thinking of entire corps loud passages then and what might be in the future...

then: wow the corps is really cranking it out 

future: wow that a good sets of amps, are they ever loud

Looks like as good a time as any to trot this classic back out 😎

• Haha 3

On 1/17/2020 at 12:38 AM, karuna said:

And this fantasy that “sound reinforcement” is required for 80 brass instruments is amusing but so ridiculous on its face that I can’t believe otherwise sane persons continue to post it. 
This is entirely about “we are broadway performance ensembles on a field”.   So long as everyone tells themselves this we’ll all eventually believe it, right?  :doh:

I agree - the past 4 years of drum corps have been a living example of The Emperor Has No Clothes -
Devils and Bluecoats realized that because the sound basically sucks inside Lucas Stadium, the only solution is sound reinforcement -
Without actually stating this as the justification, all the corps entered a sound system war to the extent that the actual sound of a drum corps is now so completely messed up, it only sounds good on flo marching through your home AV system --

Critics of these innovations are shamed or threatened into silence by the enlightened elite who silence any diversity of opinion by branding their opponents as dinosaurs or craven anti (creative)evolutionists.

Corps who should have known better and sided with the traditionalists were too afraid of not being cool and made their own weak attempts at entering into the electronics war. So now we are at a point where rules need to be formed to set a fair playing field.

I'm particularly ticked off because I can't enjoy seeing a show live any longer unless you are sitting high - if you are low on either side, the sound is entirely the speaker stack nearest to your seats -- this is crap and the designers know it.

One idea might be to limit amplification for indoor venues where the sound reinforcement is actually helpful - outdoor venues do not need amplification -

The electronics race has lead to the design mindset that this is an indoor activity or a performance intended to be recorded and viewed online - is that really the direction the elite want the activity to go? Seriously, Bluecoats, Blue Devils -- is this what you want?

• Like 5

11 hours ago, tedrick said:

The electronics race has lead to the design mindset that this is an indoor activity or a performance intended to be recorded and viewed online - is that really the direction the elite want the activity to go? Seriously, Bluecoats, Blue Devils -- is this what you want?

Considering how much editing occurs on recordings now, the main end goal seems to be the marketing of the videos. There are probably few seats in Lucas Oil Stadium that sound as good as the recordings - too low and you get blasted by the sound system, too high and you can barely hear above the blowers of air handling system. I found the best compromise to be at the front of the upper deck, where the plexiglass blocks the overpowering pit and I could actually hear some brass and drums. I just wish I didn't have to resort to Stupid Human Tricks to get to what remains of what I enjoy about drum corps, and just watching livecasts and videos is an easier path.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, drangin said:

Considering how much editing occurs on recordings now, the main end goal seems to be the marketing of the videos. There are probably few seats in Lucas Oil Stadium that sound as good as the recordings - too low and you get blasted by the sound system, too high and you can barely hear above the blowers of air handling system. I found the best compromise to be at the front of the upper deck, where the plexiglass blocks the overpowering pit and I could actually hear some brass and drums. I just wish I didn't have to resort to Stupid Human Tricks to get to what remains of what I enjoy about drum corps, and just watching livecasts and videos is an easier path.

Which is why sitting high up at the Allentown venue is the best place for today's  DC.  In spite of the "supposed" design of the shows for indoor and video consumption, the sound indoors is still poor from my "audiophile" point of view, even the videos.  These days, high up outdoors is the place to see and listen to DC.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Bob P. said:

These days, high up outdoors is the place to see and listen to DC.

I would agree except for the point I made earlier that corps practice all summer with the sound gear rigged for Lucas Oil and they don't care how bad it sounds in other venues.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drangin said:

I would agree except for the point I made earlier that corps practice all summer with the sound gear rigged for Lucas Oil and they don't care how bad it sounds in other venues.

neither do the judges

7 hours ago, drangin said:

Actually, in spite of that "rigged"sound, it sounds better high up in the stands, if the stands are high enough.  No sound out of only the right hand speaker, if you are right in front of it etc.  Even if the corps sound system is rigged for Lucas Oil, it still isn't very good indoors and actually sounds better outdoors, from high up perspective.   Distorted sound indoors, sounds worse than distorted sound outdoors.🙄

A music event like this should want nothing to do with a distorted product. With few exceptions, like soloists and small ensembles, talent at this high level of proficiency must be challenged to “sing” in tune and balance. A display of natural ability and masterful command of the instrument.  Anything less is both an insult to the group on stage, and abuse of the in-person audience.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1