What's in a Field?

1 minute ago, Glenn426 said:

Now I have never been to Indy but I have been to the Old Georgia Dome, Alamodome, and the old RCA Dome and those were obnoxious Echo Chambers.

I'd have to think the the acoustics in a smaller arena would be much improved because the space that the sound waves could echo off each would be greatly diminished. It'll still have some echo but nowhere near as bad as a larger domed Stadium.

not all arenas are built with accoustics in mind. the old HersheyPark arena had great sight lines but the sound sucked

1 minute ago, MikeN said:

Neither are all football stadiums. <shrug>

Mike

even if they say they are

Does a high school stadium really cost more to rent than a college or professional arena?

59 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I am fairly sure the 990 "Show Expenses" category includes far more than just the cost of stadium rentals.

bingo!!!!

11 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Does a high school stadium really cost more to rent than a college or professional arena?

depends on the stadium

22 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I know you and I touched base on the other thread on this, but I'd be perfectly fine with it.  I'm in love with the corps' performances, not the venue, and you could do virtually every effect already seen outdoors.  

My only real experience with indoor drum corps was with Brass Theater II when they passed through the area in '96, but you could see pretty easily how it would go.  You *absolutely* would have to cut the number of performers per section, else you'd kill everyone in the stands, but in today's very professional digital tarp-prop-uniform age, you could create some amazing looks and sounds.  Could even add more lighting.

Plus, the number of "bad seats" is incredibly diminished, which will make Garfield happy as they could charge much more per spectator.  😝

Mike

There are some serious Masochist out there. If the number spot you want in the Lot is the Inside of a BD or Crown Horn Arc. Imagine that amount of body shaking impact but sitting in the stands.

And this second point is where the next visual frontier is in my mind, Tarps in most cases simply do not work outdoor, but they sure as hell do work indoors. The Costuming and Floor Combination will provide a new dimension of effect that can be used in the marching arts.

And finally Lighting. I've expressed my DCI - Cirque comparisons before and I think what is separating this idiom from other professional performance environments is the use of lighting. I think as long as the Lights are not changed while a piece of Guard equipment in the Air (which can be regulated by rules) then all safety concerns should be quelled.

To mitigate costs, the Lighting rigs and control board can be shared with the corps and the programming can be saved on the corps own programming module.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

not all arenas are built with accoustics in mind. the old HersheyPark arena had great sight lines but the sound sucked

Oh come on concrete roof, concrete floor, concrete walls... we had about 30 horns and about 12-15 drums playing while Keystone Games athletes came to the floor of the arena. Great lesson in acoustics as echo went down the more bodies came out to absorb the sound....

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

depends on the stadium

Well, just doing a quick search, I'm seeing prices to rent a stadium for a football game here in Ohio in the range of $2,000-$4,000.

9 minutes ago, leanlion said:

bingo!!!!

The Total Functional Expenses for DCI in 2018 was $12,429,268 The line item identified as Show Expenses is $6,550,694

With so many other line items on Page 10, I would imagine this cost is what the venues asks from DCI to be able to use the stadiums for the shows.