What's in a Field?

16 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

People don't go to see OC corps because the quality is not the same a BD. Not because of the size of the corps.

People will pay to see BD whether they have 154 or 100. Same with much of the rest of the top 10. Its coming to the point that most corps are not maximizing the rules with regards to amplification as they could. A properly mic'd hornline of 50 could be just as loud and sound better than a hornline of 80+ without mics.

"Its not the size of the Boat, but the motion of the ocean." 

I think people still want to hear the natural or mostly natural brass sound even if it has some bass reinforcement from the PA. Regardless, I think there is zero chance of the voting members agreeing to a 100 member limit. Each year there are around 3000 marching members. I'm not sure what the stats are, but my guess would be that half march one year, a quarter two years and a quarter three or more years. It's expensive and college ain't cheap either.  Why aren't these people sticking with the events en masse? If they aren't interested enough to pay to see drum corps, there is little chance in growth of the general public beginning to take interest. Increase the entertainment value, increase demand, higher prices for tickets, more butts in seats. But success is now defined basically as surviving a season without using lines of credit much. If they actually began making profits, would the non-profit status be at risk? I really don't think there is a lot of interest in doing more than surviving another season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

I think people still want to hear the natural or mostly natural brass sound even if it has some bass reinforcement from the PA. Regardless, I think there is zero chance of the voting members agreeing to a 100 member limit. Each year there are around 3000 marching members. I'm not sure what the stats are, but my guess would be that half march one year, a quarter two years and a quarter three or more years. It's expensive and college ain't cheap either.  Why aren't these people sticking with the events en masse? If they aren't interested enough to pay to see drum corps, there is little chance in growth of the general public beginning to take interest. Increase the entertainment value, increase demand, higher prices for tickets, more butts in seats. But success is now defined basically as surviving a season without using lines of credit much. If they actually began making profits, would the non-profit status be at risk? I really don't think there is a lot of interest in doing more than surviving another season.

Outstanding analysis! Don’t expect long term fan or financial support from those who have little time invested in either the corps they marched or the activity as a whole. This is a cause and affect of high tuition cost and a non-geographically local membership participation. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

They take it on faith.  Unless a review was triggered for some other reason, DCI would not know if an existing OC corps was below the minimum member count until they see the corps at a contest.

Actually, DCI requires a roster be submitted by May 31.  I assume if your roster is under the count there will be some explanations required.

Mike

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

We will just have to "agree to disagree" on that.

Gotta say, I actually have experience with that - in July '96 I got to see Phantom do Defiant Heart one evening in a smaller stadium, then Brass Theater II indoors the next day.  They were both pleasantly overwhelming to listen to.  

Mike

19 hours ago, garfield said:

Isn't an emphasis on placement really a function of what's being rewarded?

Of course and always: "To the victors go the spoils".

but then you have the "it'll help the lower corps" mantra recently trotted out. theres thousands of kids not marching those corps now ( conveniently ignored by those trotting out that mantra by the way) because all of the focus is on the top dogs. sure its a dog eat dog world, but the current set up has those lower placing and OC corps eating milkbone underwear ($ to Norm Peterson)

19 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well we have a new corps (Carolina Gold) that wants to come in but have to wait until a few weeks before the season starts to see if they are approved.

Sounds like Catch 22 to me, you need be approved to help your recruiting but can’t be approved until you have enough recruiting to have a good sized corps. 

DCI needs to study how to be more new corps friendly. And I don’t mean have sound sport and hope for the best

problem for Gold is publicly they waited too long to announce this. if they had done it on the ride home from the over rated world championship facility DcA uses, it could ave helped

19 hours ago, garfield said:

It's not nefarious, it's just a hard floor minimum.  In this context the only solution is to lower the minimum to solve what you see as a catch-22. 

I believe that WC should not be easy to get into. 

DCI is an event promotion company at its core that attends to the needs and desires of the WC members.  Being "more new corps friendly" would obviously mean lowering the minimum that the membership just agreed to increase, would distract DCI personnel from the job it does for it's members, and would (in the members' eyes) lower the "quality" and consistency of the WC program format.

WC should be. i think they've made it too hard for OC

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

People don't go to see OC corps because the quality is not the same a BD. Not because of the size of the corps.

People will pay to see BD whether they have 154 or 100. Same with much of the rest of the top 10. Its coming to the point that most corps are not maximizing the rules with regards to amplification as they could. A properly mic'd hornline of 50 could be just as loud and sound better than a hornline of 80+ without mics.

"Its not the size of the Boat, but the motion of the ocean." 

AHA!

you've now admitted it! so now when you talk about kids going to lower corps and i bring up they aren't going there for a reason, you can't duck away!

8 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

problem for Gold is publicly they waited too long to announce this. if they had done it on the ride home from the over rated world championship facility DcA uses, it could ave helped

Would that have helped with approval process. See how it would have helped getting warm bodies. 

Yeah I don’t pay close attention but found out on DCP.... And vas ist das “facility” word you are sprachen? 😈

Edited by JimF-LowBari