What's in a Field?

5 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Would that have helped with approval process. See how it would have helped getting warm bodies. 

Yeah I don’t pay close attention but found out on DCP.... And vas ist das “facility” word you are sprachen? 😈

process? no. interest to be sure they had numbers.....maybe

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

process? no. interest to be sure they had numbers.....maybe

Ok checking if there was something (else) that I didn’t know about...

43 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

problem for Gold is publicly they waited too long to announce this. if they had done it on the ride home from the over rated world championship facility DcA uses, it could ave helped

Thank you, I had not followed this.  Unfortunately, the possibility that, in fact, DCI didn't need to do anything at all wasn't obvious through the fog of the weekend's war.

The presumption is that DCI has to do something.  No, not in this case they didn't.  Gold needed to do something.

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

Actually, DCI requires a roster be submitted by May 31.  I assume if your roster is under the count there will be some explanations required.

Mike

I can't find where cixel said that but, yes, the roster deadline is just weeks from the start of "the season".

Also, Mike, isn't it your experience that OC shows are scheduled by DCI according to what OC corps are available to actually DO a show?  The point being that, yes, it's unfortunate that more OC performance opportunities exist.  I agree that energy needs to be put into a finding a solution, I'm just not sure the solution is to take money out of the pockets of the orgs that are actually paying for themselves - barely.

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

Gotta say, I actually have experience with that - in July '96 I got to see Phantom do Defiant Heart one evening in a smaller stadium, then Brass Theater II indoors the next day.  They were both pleasantly overwhelming to listen to.  

Mike

"...pleasantly overwhelming...".  What a wonderful vision harking back to the G-days...  Like '88 SCV or Rocky Point Holiday or Einstein or "...my grandmother's skin felt like paper..." or Re-write of Spring...

Someone very high up the DCI totem pole repeated to me again very recently "There sure is a lot of passion in this activity!"  For me, it's because of a life of being pleasantly overwhelmed by what's on the field.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

AHA!

you've now admitted it! so now when you talk about kids going to lower corps and i bring up they aren't going there for a reason, you can't duck away!

And ten or so years ago when I asked this question here got a bunch of “with all the costs it’s about as much as going to my dream corps. It’s worth it if I’m in my dream corps. But if it’s not my dream corps then no it’s not”

7 hours ago, garfield said:

Thank you, I had not followed this.  Unfortunately, the possibility that, in fact, DCI didn't need to do anything at all wasn't obvious through the fog of the weekend's war.

The presumption is that DCI has to do something.  No, not in this case they didn't.  Gold needed to do something.

i'm not presuming that...i'm saying announcing sooner could have gotten more bodies

14 hours ago, garfield said:

I can't find where cixel said that but, yes, the roster deadline is just weeks from the start of "the season".

I did not mention the roster.  When it comes to determining compliance with the member minimum, in-person head counts are "evidence" while a roster is just "hearsay".

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I did not mention the roster.  When it comes to determining compliance with the member minimum, in-person head counts are "evidence" while a roster is just "hearsay".

While true, the OC coordinator is most-likely to repeat "Fool me once..." and a corps team must surely know they can pull that just once.  Plus, you can be sure that the OC coordinator does not like being made to look foolish to his bosses so, next time, the attention would likely be more acute, detailed, invasive, and drawn out.  Physical visits to camps and meetings by the OC team are part of the process so they do get both roster (current member lists) and vaticinations about member count at the season's start. 

It doesn't seem reasonable that a seasoned OC coordinator like the one there now is going to misread a corps staff/governance/logistics efforts to date, nor do I think he'd fall for unrealistic and lofty prognostications about what the corps will be on Day-1 of the tour.

Similarly, OC corps moving to WC will have to repeat the process for a new set of eyes and expectations.  Going through the process into OC seems perfectly reasonable to me and personal visits to assess progress is the single best thing they do to judge an org's viability to tour in-class.