What's in a Field?

23 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

People don't go to see OC corps because the quality is not the same a BD. Not because of the size of the corps.

People will pay to see BD whether they have 154 or 100. Same with much of the rest of the top 10. Its coming to the point that most corps are not maximizing the rules with regards to amplification as they could. A properly mic'd hornline of 50 could be just as loud and sound better than a hornline of 80+ without mics.

"Its not the size of the Boat, but the motion of the ocean." 

TBH, I'd agree to "just as loud" but would prefer the term "different" to "better"

• Like 2

20 hours ago, garfield said:

I can't find where cixel said that but, yes, the roster deadline is just weeks from the start of "the season".

Also, Mike, isn't it your experience that OC shows are scheduled by DCI according to what OC corps are available to actually DO a show?  The point being that, yes, it's unfortunate that more OC performance opportunities exist.  I agree that energy needs to be put into a finding a solution, I'm just not sure the solution is to take money out of the pockets of the orgs that are actually paying for themselves - barely.

Yes - OC schedules aren't generally a one-sided affair, such as "you shalt do this show" or "we are doing 28 shows, find us some."  In my experience, DCI been very accommodating in creating the lineups.  In 2018 they asked us to add a swing through the south so that they could run a set of early season OC tours.  It worked for us, though it added an extra week to our tour.  In 2019 we asked to not do those again due to the structure of the tour we were planning, and DCI was ok with that too.  We were going to lobby them for 2020 for a particular set of early shows that would get us with more OC groups and a big early season test; not sure how that worked out since I'm not with them this year, but DCI is open to that sort of give-and-take.  Based on previous conversations with our director, it was always a fairly rapid process.  

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gak27 said:

TBH, I'd agree to "just as loud" but would prefer the term "different" to "better"

Just remember when we’d be amazed that beautiful music was being made by people on modified signaling devices.

Now we’re heading to is it the performer or the person behind the board.. Seems like people are moving away from being entertained with what they have to “needing” perfection before it’s worth their while .. 🤮

Edited by JimF-LowBari

On 1/14/2020 at 4:54 PM, Glenn426 said:

The Total Functional Expenses for DCI in 2018 was $12,429,268 The line item identified as Show Expenses is $6,550,694

With so many other line items on Page 10, I would imagine this cost is what the venues asks from DCI to be able to use the stadiums for the shows.

you are so wrong.

you would be amazed at some of the low cost deals dci has made for venues.

remember most stadiums fees are the show promoter responsibility not dci.

this 6m figure includes performance fees to the corps as well as a variety of expenses a 990 form requires you lump together.